Force applied to 2 connected mass.

In summary: I understand there to be one but it isn't outlined by my...In summary, in the case of a mass connected to a mass by a massless cord, the tension in the cord causes a reaction in the opposite direction of the applied force.
negation
Untitled.png

A force is applied to m1 connected to m2 by a "massless" cord. where m2>m1.

the acceleration, a, is a = F/m1+m2

By decomposing the system into A and B where A refers to the tension on m1 upon having the force applied onto m2, the tension TA is to the positive x-direction.

However, in the case of the system B, the tension TB is to the negative x-direction as the force F is applied directly to m2.

Why does TB arises in the block m2 but yet not in m1?

Physics news on Phys.org
negation said:
Why does TB arises in the block m2 but yet not in m1?
I'm not sure I understand this statement. The cord connecting the two masses exerts a tension force on both m1 and m2. The cord exerts the same force on both blocks (different directions, of course).

Doc Al said:
I'm not sure I understand this statement. The cord connecting the two masses exerts a tension force on both m1 and m2. The cord exerts the same force on both blocks (different directions, of course).

I shall rephrase. I was lacking clarity in the OP.

When force F is applied on m2, m1 experiences a tension TA in the positive x-direction. (why shouldn't m1 experience another tension in the negative x-direction. By my understanding, there should be an equal and opposite reaction.

In the case of m2, upon the appliance of the force F, the m2 experience not only the force F in the positive x-direction but also a tension TB in the negative x-direction.

negation said:
When force F is applied on m2, m1 experiences a tension TA in the positive x-direction.
Right. Tension is created in the cord, which acts on both masses.

(why shouldn't m1 experience another tension in the negative x-direction.
What would create that tension?

By my understanding, there should be an equal and opposite reaction.
A reaction from what?

In the case of m2, upon the appliance of the force F, the m2 experience not only the force F in the positive x-direction but also a tension TB in the negative x-direction.
And if the mass m1 were connected to a third mass, then it too would experience a tension force acting to the left. But there is no third mass.

(Note that the force F and the tension in the cord are not equal.)

Doc Al said:
Right. Tension is created in the cord, which acts on both masses.

What would create that tension?

A reaction from what?

And if the mass m1 were connected to a third mass, then it too would experience a tension force acting to the left. But there is no third mass.

(Note that the force F and the tension in the cord are not equal.)

A reaction from m1 having experience a force F applied to m2?

Suppose, as you've suggested that a third mass m3 was attached to m1 to the left. If the same force F were applied, then aside from m2 having experienced the tension TB, m1 would now experience a tension in the negative x-direction, am I right?

negation said:
A reaction from m1 having experience a force F applied to m2?
I'm not sure what you mean by a 'reaction'. m2 pulls on m1 (via the massless cord) and m1 pulls back on m2.

Suppose, as you've suggested that a third mass m3 was attached to m1 to the left. If the same force F were applied, then aside from m2 having experienced the tension TB, m1 would now experience a tension in the negative x-direction, am I right?
Sure. The force F will end up creating various tensions in the cords connecting the masses.

negation said:
I shall rephrase. I was lacking clarity in the OP.

When force F is applied on m2, m1 experiences a tension TA in the positive x-direction. (why shouldn't m1 experience another tension in the negative x-direction. By my understanding, there should be an equal and opposite reaction.

Yes there is a reaction (Newton's 3rd law). What made you believe there isn't one?

Doc Al said:
I'm not sure what you mean by a 'reaction'. m2 pulls on m1 (via the massless cord) and m1 pulls back on m2.

Sure. The force F will end up creating various tensions in the cords connecting the masses.

Come on, Doc. he's talking about Newton's 3rd law. quoting from your post " m2 pulls on m1" - That's the action - "and m1 pulls back on m2" - That's the reaction.

dauto said:
Yes there is a reaction (Newton's 3rd law). What made you believe there isn't one?

I understand there to be one but it isn't outlined by my lecturer.

dauto said:
Come on, Doc. he's talking about Newton's 3rd law. quoting from your post " m2 pulls on m1" - That's the action - "and m1 pulls back on m2" - That's the reaction.
That's why I used it as an example. But I don't think that's what was meant. (I think he was looking for a second force acting on the trailing block.)

Last edited:
negation said:
I understand there to be one but it isn't outlined by my lecturer.

That doesn't mean it's not there.

Related to Force applied to 2 connected mass.

1. What is "force applied to 2 connected mass"?

"Force applied to 2 connected mass" refers to the amount of force exerted on an object that is connected to another object, resulting in both objects experiencing the same amount of force.

2. How is the force applied to 2 connected mass calculated?

The force applied to 2 connected mass can be calculated using the formula F = m1a + m2a, where F is the force, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two connected objects, and a is the acceleration.

3. What factors can affect the force applied to 2 connected mass?

The main factors that can affect the force applied to 2 connected mass are the mass of the objects and the acceleration they are experiencing. Other factors such as friction and external forces can also influence the force applied.

4. Can the force applied to 2 connected mass be negative?

Yes, the force applied to 2 connected mass can be negative if the objects are experiencing a deceleration or if the force is acting in the opposite direction of the objects' motion.

5. What is the significance of studying the force applied to 2 connected mass?

Studying the force applied to 2 connected mass allows us to understand the relationship between two objects and how they interact with each other. It is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mechanics to analyze and predict the behavior of interconnected objects.