Force and acceleration on a waterslide

In summary, the conversation is about finding the force exerted by a person going down a waterslide, taking into account their mass and the drag force of the water. The equations used include R = 0.5 p C A v^2 and F=ma. The direction of the force is normal to the slide and can be easily calculated using the slope of the slide.
Alex no Sekai

Homework Statement

I am investigating how much force (F) a person of a certain mass (m) would need to go down one of the world's tallest waterslides, "Killimanjaro" for an important maths project.

Waterslide height: 49 m
Maximum speed: 25.28 m/s

Homework Equations

I feel like I am not taking enough factors into account. Should I look at the water's drag force, using the equation:

R = 0.5 p C A v^2
R = drag force
p = density
C = coefficient of drag
A = acceleration
v = velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

Photo le 07.07.17 à 13.22.jpg

I am sorry that this is messy however, I tried to find the acceleration by rearranging the "suvat" equation v=u+at. I got 6.52 ms^-2.

Next, I placed my value for a (6.52) in the equaiton F=ma (force = mass x acceleration). So that I can find any force, I just need to add the mass of the person within the equation. I think that I need to also take the drag force from the water into account though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alex no Sekai said:
how much force (F) a person of a certain mass (m) would need

What exactly do you mean by this?

person123 said:
What exactly do you mean by this?
I am sorry that I was unclear. I am trying to see how much force a person would exert whilst going down the slide, taking into account their mass.

Alex no Sekai said:
how much force a person would exert

How much force a person would exert or the net force exerted on the person?

person123 said:
How much force a person would exert or the net force exerted on the person?
How much force a person would exert is what I am looking for.

Alex no Sekai said:
How much force a person would exert is what I am looking for.
Exert on what?

person123 said:
Exert on what?
Oh I forgot to mention that, sorry! It would be how much force that person exerts on the slide.

Alex no Sekai said:
Oh I forgot to mention that, sorry! It would be how much force that person exerts on the slide.

In which direction—normal to the slide?

person123 said:
In which direction—normal to the slide?
Yes. Thank you for trying to help me!

Alex no Sekai said:
Yes. Thank you for trying to help me!

All right. In that case, the person's final velocity wouldn't be much help because that's affected by friction, which acts parallel to the slide.

It's very easy to find the force applied on the slide due to gravity as long as you have the slide's slope.

Likes Alex no Sekai
person123 said:
All right. In that case, the person's final velocity wouldn't be much help because that's affected by friction, which acts parallel to the slide.

It's very easy to find the force applied on the slide due to gravity as long as you have the slide's slope.
Thank you very much, this problem makes much more sense now!

Related to Force and acceleration on a waterslide

1. How does force affect acceleration on a waterslide?

Force is the push or pull that causes an object to change its motion. In the case of a waterslide, the force of gravity is what causes the acceleration of the rider as they slide down. The steeper the slide, the greater the force of gravity and the faster the acceleration.

2. Can the force and acceleration on a waterslide be changed?

Yes, the force and acceleration on a waterslide can be changed by altering the angle of the slide or the surface it is made of. For example, a slide made of a slicker material will have less friction and therefore increase the acceleration of the rider.

3. How does the rider's body position affect the force and acceleration on a waterslide?

The position of the rider's body can have an impact on the force and acceleration on a waterslide. A more aerodynamic position, such as lying flat on their back, can reduce air resistance and increase acceleration. Similarly, sitting upright or using their hands to slow down can increase air resistance and decrease acceleration.

4. What is the relationship between mass and acceleration on a waterslide?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a rider with a lower mass will experience a greater acceleration on a waterslide compared to a rider with a higher mass, assuming the same net force is acting on both riders.

5. Can friction affect the force and acceleration on a waterslide?

Yes, friction can affect the force and acceleration on a waterslide. Friction is the force that opposes motion and can slow down the acceleration of a rider on a waterslide. Factors such as the material of the slide and the rider's clothing can also impact the amount of friction experienced on a waterslide.