For which subatomic particles do we have empirical evidence?

In summary: Possibly, but I think there is an upper-limit on the mass of the Higgs boson while supersmmetric particles don't.
murshid_islam
I have two questions: which subatomic particles do we have empirical evidence for? And which are postulated but never been detected or doesn't have any evidence yet.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say we have mountains of empirical evidence for all of the particles of the standard model except the Higg's boson and the graviton.

See the data collection of the Particle Data Group.

Thanks a lot for your help, everyone.

One more question: Are the ideas that "Higgs boson exists" or "supersymmetry is a symmetry of nature" falsifiable even in principle?

Yes, if we don't find the Higgs Boson in it's expected energy range also with Supersymmetry. But one can always extend the energy levels on Supersymmetry.

Kevin_Axion said:
Yes, if we don't find the Higgs Boson in it's expected energy range also with Supersymmetry. But one can always extend the energy levels on Supersymmetry.
What is the expected energy range for Higgs boson? I didn't really understand how "supersymmetry is a symmetry of nature" is falsifiable. Sorry, I must sounds pretty dumb. But these are new stuff for me.

No, you don't sound dumb, you sound curious. The expected range for the Higgs Boson is between 115-185 GeV. An electro volt (eV) is the amount of energy an electron gains when accelerated through an electric potential difference of 1 volt = [tex] 1.602 x 10^{-19} J [/tex]. Supersymmetry is a symmetry of nature because it states that each fermion has a corresponding boson that differs by half a unit of spin and since it is a broken symmetry they are much more massive.

Kevin_Axion said:
Supersymmetry is a symmetry of nature because it states that each fermion has a corresponding boson that differs by half a unit of spin and since it is a broken symmetry they are much more massive.
If supersymmetry is false, how can we actually falsify it?

It isn't false, falsifiable means it can be proven wrong through experiment. We are stll looking for Supersymmetry.

Kevin_Axion said:
It isn't false, falsifiable means it can be proven wrong through experiment.
Oh yes, I know that. I just wanted to know that just in case it is false, what experiment would prove it wrong.

The LHC but you can always extend the mass of supersymmetric particles as to save them from falsification.

Kevin_Axion said:
The LHC but you can always extend the mass of supersymmetric particles as to save them from falsification.
What exactly did you mean by "extend the mass"?

I mean the theorists can say "Well, the Supersymmetric Particles can be much more massive than what the energies can probe at the LHC."

Kevin_Axion said:
I mean the theorists can say "Well, the Supersymmetric Particles can be much more massive than what the energies can probe at the LHC."
Can the same thing be said about Higgs boson? Why or why not?

Possibly, but I think there is an upper-limit on the mass of the Higgs boson while supersmmetric particles don't.

Related to For which subatomic particles do we have empirical evidence?

What are subatomic particles?

Subatomic particles are particles that are smaller than atoms and make up the building blocks of matter. They include protons, neutrons, and electrons.

How do we know about subatomic particles?

We know about subatomic particles through scientific experiments and observations. These experiments involve colliding particles, using particle accelerators, and studying their behavior in various environments.

What is empirical evidence?

Empirical evidence is evidence that is based on observation and experimentation, rather than theory or speculation. It is considered to be the most reliable form of evidence in science.

What are the subatomic particles for which we have empirical evidence?

The subatomic particles for which we have empirical evidence include protons, neutrons, and electrons. These particles have been observed and studied through various experiments and are considered to be the fundamental building blocks of matter.

Why is it important to have empirical evidence for subatomic particles?

Empirical evidence allows us to have a better understanding of the behavior and properties of subatomic particles. It also helps us to develop and refine scientific theories and models, which in turn can lead to advancements in technology and our understanding of the universe.