For separable extensions, why may we argue as if they're finite?

In summary, the article by Maxwell Rosenlicht discusses differential fields and their extensions. It presents the result that given a differential field F and a separable extension K/F, there exists a unique differential structure on K that extends that on F. The author then shows the existence of this structure using the method of writing an infinite extension as a union of finite extensions. This is done by applying the primitive element theorem and using Zorn's lemma to show the existence of a maximal extension. The article also addresses the question of why we can assume that the extension is finite, which is clarified through the use of Zorn's lemma and the partially ordered set of differentiable structures on K.
imurme8
I'm reading the following article by Maxwell Rosenlicht:

http://www.jstor.org/stable/2318066

(The question should be clear without the article, but I present it here for reference.)

In the beginning of the article he discusses differential fields (i.e. a field [itex]F[/itex] with a map [itex]F\to F[/itex], [itex]a\mapsto a'[/itex] such that [itex](a+b)'=a'+b'[/itex] and [itex](ab)'=a'b+ab'[/itex]). He presents the result that given a differential field [itex]F[/itex] and a separable extension [itex]K/F[/itex], there exists a unique differential structure on [itex]K[/itex] that extends that on [itex]F[/itex]. After showing uniqueness quite easily, he proceeds to show existence. His first sentence toward showing existence is, "Using the usual field-theoretic arguments, we may assume that [itex]K[/itex] is a finite extension of [itex]F[/itex], so that we can write [itex]K=F(x)[/itex], for a certain [itex]x\in K[/itex]."

Of course if the extension is finite, then it is simple, so I understand the second part of the sentence. But what are the "usual field-theoretic arguments" he's referring to? It's not clear to me why we can assume that this extension is finite.

If this is too complicated to explain quickly, perhaps you could give me a reference in Dummit and Foote or an internet link.

Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably, they're referring to the method of writing an infinite extension as a union of finite extensions.

IMO it's clearest with transfinite induction; start with F and keep adjoining elements one at a time until you have all of K.

BTW, I assume K/F is supposed to be algebraic?

i agree with THoSE ANSWERS. by zorn there is a maximal extension. if that is not defined on all of K, add in one more element of K and use the primitive element theorem to get a further extension. contradiction to maximality.

Hurkyl said:
Presumably, they're referring to the method of writing an infinite extension as a union of finite extensions.

OK, I agree that an algebraic extension is a union of finite extensions. I'm not quite seeing how that allows us to argue as if [itex]K/F[/itex] is finite. (Perhaps I'm misunderstanding.)
Hurkyl said:
BTW, I assume K/F is supposed to be algebraic?

Definitely--that is explicitly stated in the article. I was under the impression that separable implied algebraic.
micromass said:
You use seperability because you want to apply the primitive element theorem. That is, you want that each finite extension has the form F(x).
Right, the primitive element theorem applies to finite extensions as I understand it. My question is why may [itex]K/F[/itex] be assumed finite.

mathwonk said:
i agree with THoSE ANSWERS. by zorn there is a maximal extension. if that is not defined on all of K, add in one more element of K and use the primitive element theorem to get a further extension. contradiction to maximality.
Sorry, maximal with respect to what property? Finiteness? I don't think that's what you mean since it seems the hypotheses of Zorn's Lemma are not satisfied (there are totally ordered subsets with no upper bound which is a finite extension).

Let's say you've proven it for finite extensions, then the results follows from Zorn's lemma.

Look at

[itex]\mathcal{F}=\{L~\vert~F\subseteq L \subseteq K~\text{and there is a differentiable structure on}~L\}[/itex]

This is a partially ordered set with respect to inclusion (and probably you need the differentiable structure to agree as well). By Zorn's lemma it has a maximal element. If this maximal element is different from K, then a finite extension of the maximal element contradicts the maximality.

micromass said:
Let's say you've proven it for finite extensions, then the results follows from Zorn's lemma.

Look at

[itex]\mathcal{F}=\{L~\vert~F\subseteq L \subseteq K~\text{and there is a differentiable structure on}~L\}[/itex]

This is a partially ordered set with respect to inclusion (and probably you need the differentiable structure to agree as well). By Zorn's lemma it has a maximal element. If this maximal element is different from K, then a finite extension of the maximal element contradicts the maximality.
Thank you! Perfect!

Related to For separable extensions, why may we argue as if they're finite?

1. Why do we use separable extensions in scientific research?

Separable extensions are used in scientific research because they allow for a more simplified and manageable analysis of complex systems. By separating the components, scientists can focus on studying the individual parts and then combine their findings to understand the system as a whole.

2. What is the significance of separable extensions in mathematics?

Separable extensions are significant in mathematics because they allow for the use of powerful tools such as Galois theory to study and understand algebraic structures. They also have applications in areas such as cryptography and coding theory.

3. How do separable extensions help in solving mathematical equations?

Separable extensions aid in solving mathematical equations by breaking down the problem into smaller, solvable components. This makes it easier to find solutions and can also provide insights into the behavior of the equation as a whole.

4. Can separable extensions be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, separable extensions can be applied to real-life situations in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. They can be used to analyze complex systems and make predictions about their behavior, leading to advancements in technology and understanding of the natural world.

5. Are all extensions separable?

No, not all extensions are separable. Some extensions, known as inseparable extensions, cannot be separated into smaller components and require different techniques for analysis. However, separable extensions are a fundamental concept in mathematics and have many important applications in scientific research.