For an equimolar solution of n-pentane and n-hexane

• Thread starter missmaria
  • Start date
In summary, for an equimolar solution of n-pentane and n-hexane, the dew-point pressure at 120 F is 1.52 and the bubble-point temperature at 1 atm is 0.51. However, for question c), the law of Raoult may be used, but there is not enough data provided to calculate the vapor fraction and mole fractions of the vapor and liquid phases. Additional information, such as volume and total amount of solution, is needed for an accurate calculation.
missmaria
Question:
For an equimolar solution of n-pentane and n-hexane, compute:
a) dew-point pressure at 120 F
b) bubble-point temperature at 1 atm
c) the vapor fraction at 120 F and 0.9 atm, and the mole fractions of the vapor and liquid phases

My attempt at a solution:
I calculated the saturation pressures of both pentane and hexane, 1.52 and 0.51, respectively. Now i don't know what to use for xi and yi. I think i need to compute the K value, but still, i am stuck. Can anyone help? thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think that the law of Raoult is the one you want to use... but I am not certain that you have enough data for question c). I'd expect a volume and a total amount of solution given there.

a) To determine the dew-point pressure at 120 F, we need to use the Antoine equation for vapor pressure. The Antoine equation is given by log(P) = A - (B/(T+C)), where P is the vapor pressure, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and A, B, and C are constants specific to each substance. We can use the Antoine equation to calculate the vapor pressures of pentane and hexane at 120 F (49 C) and then use Raoult's law to determine the dew-point pressure.

For n-pentane at 120 F, the vapor pressure is 22.87 psi. For n-hexane at 120 F, the vapor pressure is 4.77 psi. Using Raoult's law, the dew-point pressure can be calculated as P = xpentane * Ppentane + xhexane * Phexane, where x is the mole fraction and P is the vapor pressure of each component. Since the solution is equimolar, the mole fractions are both 0.5. Therefore, the dew-point pressure at 120 F is (0.5 * 22.87) + (0.5 * 4.77) = 13.82 psi.

b) To determine the bubble-point temperature at 1 atm, we can use the same approach as in part a, but this time we will use the Antoine equation to calculate the temperature instead of the vapor pressure. At 1 atm, the vapor pressures of pentane and hexane are equal to their saturation pressures. Therefore, we can set the Antoine equation for both substances equal to 1 atm and solve for the temperature. This gives us a bubble-point temperature of 96.63 F (35.91 C).

c) To determine the vapor fraction at 120 F and 0.9 atm, we can use the same approach as in part a, but this time we will use the given pressure instead of the saturation pressure. The vapor fraction can be calculated using the following equation: y = (P - Pbubble) / (Pdew - Pbubble), where P is the given pressure, Pdew is the dew-point pressure calculated in part a, and Pbubble is the bubble-point pressure calculated in part b. This gives us a vapor fraction of 0.76.

To determine the mole fractions of the vapor and liquid phases, we can use the following equations:
xv

Related to For an equimolar solution of n-pentane and n-hexane

What is an equimolar solution?

An equimolar solution is a solution in which the molar concentration of each component is equal. In other words, the number of moles of each component is the same.

What is n-pentane and n-hexane?

n-pentane and n-hexane are both hydrocarbon compounds that belong to the alkane family. They are commonly used as solvents in various industries.

How do you prepare an equimolar solution of n-pentane and n-hexane?

To prepare an equimolar solution of n-pentane and n-hexane, you will need to measure out equal molar amounts of each compound and mix them together in a container. This will result in a solution in which the concentration of each compound is equal.

What are some properties of an equimolar solution of n-pentane and n-hexane?

An equimolar solution of n-pentane and n-hexane will have a lower boiling point and a higher vapor pressure compared to either pure compound. This is due to the partial pressure of each compound contributing to the overall vapor pressure of the solution.

What are some applications of an equimolar solution of n-pentane and n-hexane?

An equimolar solution of n-pentane and n-hexane is commonly used as a reference mixture in gas chromatography. It can also be used as a solvent in various industrial processes, such as extraction and cleaning.