Focus, Attention, And Mental Filters

In summary, this person is constantly checking out the slope of the foreheads of everyone they now see. They are also paying attention to growth patterns of body hair on males.
zoobyshoe
Since I got interested enough in Neanderthal man to start reading about him, and because this leads to questions about whether or not modern man could have bred with Neanderthal, I have found myself getting into the habit of constantly checking out the slope of the foreheads of every person I now see. This has become a habit: I do it automatically, and don't make any effort. I realized today that I'm hardly paying attention to any other aspect of people's faces anymore: I'm just keeping an eye on everyone, waiting fo them to offer that profile view so I can gage the slope of their forhead.
This is a pretty extreme example of an odd mental filter. Throughout my life I've gone through a long succession of less bizarre ones. Another one I can recall is going around paying particular and exclusive attention to color. This has happened a few times, sometimes in conjunction with being heavily involved in artwork, and sometimes because of reading about how the eyes and brain create and percieve color.
I wonder if anyone else has any examples they recall of especially strange mental filters, like noticing the slope of peoples' forheads all the time?

Physics news on Phys.org
I always notice handedness. Although I haven't done a real survey yet (I'm going to), it appears that about 40% of our customers are lefties.

Some years ago I started cutting silhouettes, just as a hobby. Not just people but plants and animals too. Befor long I began to view almost everything in a black and white profile.
And there was one time I would catch myself looking at growth patterns of body hair on males, well that was a weird summer anyways.:redface:

What exactly do you count as a mental filter?

hypnagogue said:
What exactly do you count as a mental filter?
If you're concerned I'm not using the term here rigorously, I probably am not. If it helps clarify: both Danger and Hypatia gave good examples of the sort of thing I was thinking about.

I'm not worried about rigor, I'm just genuinely not sure what you would consider to count as a mental filter. Do you just mean regularly noticing certain things that you normally/previously wouldn't think twice about?

hypnagogue said:
Do you just mean regularly noticing certain things that you normally/previously wouldn't think twice about?
I mean extreme examples of paying attention to one phenomenon, dynamic, or subject, to the exclusion of others. If, for example, I go around specifically paying attention to the colors of things, I am not noticing their shapes, and I am also not paying attention to the sounds around me, among many other things I might notice if I weren't so focused on one sort of thing.

Related to Focus, Attention, And Mental Filters

1. What is focus and why is it important?

Focus refers to the ability to concentrate on a specific task or stimulus while ignoring distractions. It is important because it allows us to complete tasks efficiently, make decisions, and retain information. Without focus, our thoughts and actions can become scattered and unproductive.

2. How does attention relate to focus?

Attention is closely related to focus in that it refers to the cognitive process of selectively focusing on certain stimuli or information. In other words, attention is the mental energy that we use to maintain focus on a specific task or stimulus. It is essential for successful focus.

3. What are mental filters and how do they affect focus?

Mental filters are the unconscious biases, beliefs, and habits that shape the way we perceive and interpret information. They can affect focus by influencing what we pay attention to and how we process that information. For example, a negative mental filter may cause us to focus on the negative aspects of a situation, while a positive mental filter may lead us to focus on the positive.

4. Can focus and attention be improved?

Yes, focus and attention can be improved through practice and training. Just like any skill, the more we practice focusing, the better we become at it. This can include techniques such as mindfulness, setting specific goals, and minimizing distractions. Additionally, maintaining a healthy lifestyle with adequate sleep, exercise, and nutrition can also positively impact our ability to focus.

5. How does technology affect our ability to focus?

Technology can both positively and negatively affect our ability to focus. On one hand, it can provide valuable tools and resources that can aid in focus and attention, such as productivity apps and brain-training games. On the other hand, technology can also be a source of distractions, with constant notifications and the temptation to multitask. It is important to use technology mindfully and set boundaries to maintain focus and prevent its negative impact on our attention.