Flux that reaches a certain radius in a star

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for radiative flux in the atmosphere of a star, which is given by dF/dr=-opacity*F*density. It also explores the relationship between flux and density in an isothermal atmosphere, where density decreases with radius. The conversation then goes on to show that the flux at a certain radius can be calculated using the equation F(r)=F0 *e^opacity*(r^-2 -r0^-2) where the opacity is a constant. The process involves integrating the 1st order ODE and using the exponential function.
ppy
I know the radiative flux traveling through the atmosphere of a star obeys the equation:

dF/dr=-opacity*F*density

If we have an isothermal atmosphere the density decreases with radius such that density is proportional to 1/r^2.

If the flux entering such an atmosphere from the core of the star at radius r0 is F0 show that the flux that reaches radius r is

F(r)=F0 *e^opacity*(r^-2 -r0^-2) where the opacity is a constant.

I do not understand I'm guessing I need to integrate the 1st order ODE but how can I do this when flux is on both sides of the equation and where does the exponential come from in the answer?

Help!
Thanks :) Note: for some reason the symbols tab is not working on my laptop

Physics news on Phys.org
if you divide your first eqn by F and multiply by dr you get 1/F dF = - opacity * density dr

which gives 1/F dF α -opacity * 1/r^2 dr where α means proportional to, which since opacity is a constant you can write (i think)

1/F dF = -opacity * 1/r^2 dr

integral both sides to give ln(F/Fo)=-opacity [1/r0 - 1/r]

do exp of both sides

F = F0 exp (opacity (1/r - 1/r0))

not sure why it gives r^-2 , maybe I've done it wrong, I am guessing that's where the exponential comes from anyway!

Related to Flux that reaches a certain radius in a star

1. What is flux that reaches a certain radius in a star?

Flux refers to the amount of energy passing through a given area in a certain amount of time. In a star, flux that reaches a certain radius refers to the amount of energy that reaches a specific distance from the star's core.

2. How is flux calculated in a star?

Flux can be calculated by multiplying the surface temperature of the star by its surface area. This can be determined through various methods, such as spectroscopy or photometry.

3. What factors affect the flux that reaches a certain radius in a star?

The flux that reaches a certain radius in a star can be affected by several factors, including the star's temperature, size, and composition. Other factors such as the presence of magnetic fields or surrounding objects can also play a role.

4. Why is flux that reaches a certain radius important in understanding a star?

By studying the flux that reaches a certain radius in a star, scientists can gain insight into the star's internal structure, as well as its energy production and evolution. This information can help us better understand the dynamics and behavior of stars.

5. How does the flux that reaches a certain radius in a star change over time?

The flux that reaches a certain radius in a star can change over time due to various factors, such as changes in the star's internal processes or external influences. For example, as a star ages, its flux may decrease as it runs out of fuel. Additionally, external factors such as the presence of planets or other stars can also affect the flux at a certain radius in a star.