Flux of a vector field through warped sphere

In summary, the surface integral of the vector field F over the surface S, which is the graph of z = 1-x^2-y^2 with z≥0, and also the unit disc in the xy plane, can be calculated using the parameterization of the surface and the tangent vectors. This integral can be split into two parts, one for the open paraboloid and one for the disc at the bottom. The flux through the disc at the bottom is 0 due to the z component of F being 0. The sum of these two fluxes is equal to the volume integral over the divergence of F, which in this case is 5 times the volume of the paraboloid. Ultimately, the surface integral
phasic

Homework Statement

Consider the surface S with the graph z = 1-x[itex]^{2}[/itex]-y[itex]^{2}[/itex] with z≥0, and also the unit disc in the xy plane. Give this surface an outer normal. Compute: [itex]\int\int_{S}[/itex][itex]\vec{F}[/itex][itex]\bullet[/itex]d[itex]\vec{S}[/itex]

where [itex]\vec{F}[/itex](x,y,z) = (2x,2y,z)

Homework Equations

[itex]\int\int_{S}[/itex][itex]\vec{F}[/itex][itex]\bullet[/itex]d[itex]\vec{S}[/itex]

= [itex]\int\int_{D}[/itex][itex]\vec{F}[/itex][itex]\bullet[/itex]([itex]\vec{T_{x}}[/itex][itex]\times[/itex][itex]\vec{T_{y}}[/itex])dxdy

= [itex]\int\int_{D}[/itex] [ [itex]F_1[/itex](-dg/dx)+[itex]F_2[/itex](-dg/dy)+[itex]F_3[/itex] ] dxdy

Where Tx and Ty are the tangent vectors and D is the domain of the parameterization of the surface of S.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the integrand of the 3rd relevant equation to be -5x^2 - 5y^2 + 1. But I cannot find the bounds of integration. Is the domain D the unit disc or is it just the rectangle -1<x<1 and -1<y<1? If it's the unit disc, then using polar coordinates my solution is -6*Pi/4. If it's the rectangle, my solution is -28/3.

Also, is this just flux through the open surface z = 1-(x^2)-(y^2) or is it including the bottom cap? If not, would I then have to calculate and add the flux through the disc, which should be relatively easy? Then, would these two pieces combined be equal to the integral of div(F) over the volume enclosed by these surfaces, via the divergence theorem?

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: D'oh! The integrand is actually 3x^2 +3y^2 + 1, and I have a feeling the limits of integration are over the rectangle, so the integral over that is 12.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the limits of integration are based on the parameterisation you choose...

for this problem note that the unit disc is a much more natural domain to parameterise the inverted paraboloid with, than the unit rectangle

secondly, you will need to split the surface integral into 2 parts one for the inverted paraboloid, and one for the disc at the bottom

thirdly, though I haven't attempted it, the divergence theorem may be used as a a check, and may even simplify the problem...

Thanks! I just realized that using the unit disc is best. My final answer was 5*pi/2.

Also, thanks for confirming that this is just for the flux through the open paraboloid, and that I also have to compute the flux through the cap at the bottom!

The flux through the cap at the bottom is 0, because the z component of F is 0.

These should sum up to the volume integral over the div(F), which is just div(F) = 5 times the volume of the paraboloid, which is Pi*(height of paraboloid)/2! For this paraboloid of height 1, the volume is Pi/2. So, the right side of divergence theorem is 5*Pi/2. These answers match!

Thanks for your help, and let me know if there is any flaw in my thinking. :D

thinking sounds good, and without explicitly doing the calc the fact the divergence thm gives you the same answer gives me confidence in your answer

Related to Flux of a vector field through warped sphere

1. What is the definition of flux of a vector field through a warped sphere?

The flux of a vector field through a warped sphere is a measure of the flow of the vector field through the surface of the sphere. It takes into account the warping or distortion of the sphere, which can affect the flow of the vector field.

2. How is the flux of a vector field through a warped sphere calculated?

The flux of a vector field through a warped sphere is calculated using the surface integral of the vector field over the surface of the sphere. This involves breaking the surface into infinitesimal pieces and summing up the contributions from each piece.

3. Can the flux of a vector field through a warped sphere be negative?

Yes, the flux of a vector field through a warped sphere can be negative. This indicates that the vector field is flowing in the opposite direction of the normal vector to the surface of the sphere.

4. How does the warping of the sphere affect the flux of the vector field?

The warping of the sphere can affect the flux of the vector field by changing the orientation and magnitude of the normal vector at different points on the surface. This can cause the flux to vary across the surface and may result in a non-zero flux even if the vector field is constant.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating the flux of a vector field through a warped sphere?

The calculation of flux of a vector field through a warped sphere has many applications in physics and engineering. Some examples include determining the flow of fluid or air through a curved surface, calculating the electric or magnetic flux through a curved conductor, and studying the flow of heat through a curved object.