Flux from an infinite charged sheet

Then think how the cone will intersect those lines of flux. Do you understand what the flux is?In summary, the problem involves finding the flux through a cone that intersects an infinite sheet of charge density sigma. The cone is placed halfway through the sheet, forming a circle with a radius of R/2 or 2R, although it is not clear which. The flux can be visualized by considering the lines of flux from the sheet and how they intersect with the cone. Additional parameters and a more precise problem statement are needed for a complete solution.
HarishRR
Homework Statement
There is an infinite sheet of charge density sigma,we place a cone cutting through the infinite sheet at a point,find the flux through entire cone,the right side of cone,the left side of cone
Relevant Equations
integral of E.dA
I tried finding the cone's Flux and from there i have no idea ,can anybody pls help me ?
Thanks in Advance

Regards
Harish R

Physics news on Phys.org
There is an infinite sheet of charge density sigma,we place a cone cutting through the infinite sheet at a point,find the flux through entire cone,the right side of cone,the left side of cone
I suspect that this is not the exact text of the original problem statement. can you quote it exactly and provide images of any included diagrams? What other parameters are involved?

See this(below)

Attachments

• Sc.PNG
    Sc.PNG
    129.6 KB · Views: 265
Assume all the necessary parameters given

Still not clear. What does "H imply? What does the "R" and "2R" imply? Is the cone infinite or finite? Please present the problem precisely.

The way I read it, the cone is halfway through the sheet, and since its base radius is R it intersects the sheet to form a circle radius R/2. Or perhaps that should be 2R and R respectively- it is not clear from the diagram whether R and 2R are radii or diameters.

First, think what the lines of flux from the sheet look like.

Related to Flux from an infinite charged sheet

1. What is flux from an infinite charged sheet?

Flux from an infinite charged sheet is the amount of electric field passing through a unit area perpendicular to the sheet. It is a measure of the strength of the electric field.

2. How is flux from an infinite charged sheet calculated?

The flux from an infinite charged sheet can be calculated using the formula Φ = E * A, where Φ is the flux, E is the electric field, and A is the area of the sheet.

3. What is the direction of the flux from an infinite charged sheet?

The direction of the flux from an infinite charged sheet is perpendicular to the sheet, going from the positive side to the negative side.

4. How does the distance from the infinite charged sheet affect the flux?

The flux from an infinite charged sheet is inversely proportional to the distance from the sheet. As the distance increases, the flux decreases.

5. Can the flux from an infinite charged sheet be negative?

Yes, the flux from an infinite charged sheet can be negative. This occurs when the electric field is directed in the opposite direction of the area vector.