Fluid problems - pipe like questions

• Thread starter victorlee2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluid Pipe
In summary, the problem involves a fireman climbing a ladder while carrying a hose with a nozzle. Using Bernoulli's equation and the given information, we can calculate the water velocity from the nozzle.
victorlee2
Fluid problems - " pipe " like questions

Homework Statement

A fireman climbs a 8 m high ladder carrying a
5 in diameter hose that has a 1.4 in diameter
nozzle. The pump has an absolute pressure of
4 atm.
What is the water velocity from the nozzle?
Assume that water is incompressible, its den-
sity is 1000 kg/m3 , and 1 inch = 0.0254 m.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 and 1
atm = 1.01 × 105 Pa.

Homework Equations

bernoulli's equation
volume rate of flow

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so first i found the area by converting and doing pie and all that stuff. so after i found A1 and A2, i put A2/A1 which is = to v2/v1 so that means v1 = A2/A1 * v2. with this said its time to plug into bernoulli's equation. P1 + 1/2pv1^2 = P2 + 1/2pv2^2 + pgh.

P1 = given, just convert atm into Pa
v1 i plugged into equation
p = 1000 since its water
P2 = atmopheric pressure I am guessing
h = 8m

i plugged everything in but i got it wrong T_T

i only have 3 other questions besides this one so ill post them as a reply later.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your method appears to be correct. It may be that you made an error in the math along the way. It you post the steps in your calculations, someone might be able to spot the error.

Related to Fluid problems - pipe like questions

1. What is the equation for calculating the flow rate through a pipe?

The equation for calculating flow rate is Q = A * v, where Q is the flow rate in m^3/s, A is the area of the pipe in m^2, and v is the velocity of the fluid in m/s.

2. How do you determine the pressure drop in a pipe?

The pressure drop in a pipe can be calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation: ΔP = f * (L/D) * (ρ * V^2 / 2), where ΔP is the pressure drop in Pa, f is the friction factor, L is the length of the pipe in m, D is the pipe diameter in m, ρ is the fluid density in kg/m^3, and V is the fluid velocity in m/s.

3. What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

Laminar flow is characterized by smooth, orderly movement of the fluid particles, while turbulent flow is characterized by chaotic, irregular movement. Laminar flow occurs at lower velocities and is less prone to energy loss, while turbulent flow occurs at higher velocities and is more prone to energy loss.

4. How does the viscosity of a fluid affect the flow rate through a pipe?

The viscosity of a fluid is a measure of its resistance to flow. Higher viscosity fluids, such as honey, have a lower flow rate compared to lower viscosity fluids, such as water. This is because the higher viscosity fluid has more resistance to flow, requiring more energy to overcome.

5. What factors can cause pressure drop in a pipe?

Several factors can cause pressure drop in a pipe, including pipe length, pipe diameter, fluid viscosity, fluid density, and flow rate. Friction between the fluid and the pipe walls also contributes to pressure drop. Obstacles within the pipe, such as bends or valves, can also cause pressure drop by disrupting the flow and creating turbulence.