Fluid Mechanics: Tilted Axes and Weight of Gate

In summary, AB is a homogeneous piece of metal that is hinged at A and rests on a smooth bottom at B. The water will result in a 0 force at B if it is placed at the same height as the glycerine.
wahaj

Homework Statement

AB is homogeneous with mass of 180 kg, goes 1.2m in the page and is hinged at A and resting on aa smooth bottom at B. All fluids at 20 C. Find height of water that will result on 0 force at B

Homework Equations

[tex] M_s = \int\int_s \ (\vec{r} \times \hat{n} )PdA [/tex]
[tex] \frac{dP}{dy} = \rho \vec{g} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The approach I am using to solve this problem is that the total moment caused at point is equal to 0. Therefore the moment caused by glycerine must be equal to the moment caused by water. The problem with this approach is that it neglects the weight of the mass. The bigger problem I have is that I can't seem to work with the axes. I know that the origin has to be at A. If I choose to set the positive z axis downwards along AB and the positive x-axis perpendicular to AB towards the left, the positive y-axis will go into the page. With axes defined the parts of the equation for pressure are [tex]\vec{r} = z\hat{k}[/tex] and [tex]\hat{n} = \hat{i}[/tex] I found [tex]\vec{g} = \ -gcos(60) \vec{i} + gsin(60)\vec{k} [/tex] I am having trouble working out the geometry of the height of the fluid. Can someone check what I already have and help me with the height vector and dA?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    11 KB · Views: 475
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your choice of axes is going to make solving this problem more complicated than it needs to be.

Already tried is using regular axes. They made it even harder. Also my prof said to use tilted axes for tilted gates

You're on the right track. How is dz along the gate related to a differential change in depth dD?How is a differential change in pressure dp related to a differential change in depth, dD? How is a differential change in pressure related to a differential distance dz along the gate?

Chet

[tex]dD = dz \ sin(60) \\
P = \rho gdD \\
dP = \rho g sin(60) dz [/tex]
I think I did this right. Anyways I actually figured the question out and got the right answer around the time I made my last post. Thanks for the help though

Related to Fluid Mechanics: Tilted Axes and Weight of Gate

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and the forces that act upon them. It includes the study of how fluids behave when they are in motion or at rest, and how they interact with their surroundings.

2. How do tilted axes affect fluid mechanics?

Tilted axes can affect fluid mechanics by changing the direction of flow and altering the forces acting on the fluid. This can result in changes in pressure, velocity, and other properties of the fluid.

3. What is the weight of a gate in fluid mechanics?

The weight of a gate in fluid mechanics refers to the force acting on the gate due to the pressure of the fluid. This force is dependent on the density of the fluid, the area of the gate, and the depth of the fluid.

4. How is the weight of a gate calculated in fluid mechanics?

The weight of a gate can be calculated using the formula W = ρghA, where W is the weight, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the depth of the fluid, and A is the area of the gate.

5. Why is understanding tilted axes and weight of gate important in fluid mechanics?

Understanding tilted axes and weight of gate is important in fluid mechanics because it allows us to predict and analyze the behavior of fluids in various scenarios. This knowledge is crucial in engineering and designing structures and systems that involve the movement or containment of fluids.