Fluid mechanics faucet problem

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the diameter of a steady stream of water from a kitchen faucet. The formula A1V1 = A2V2 = constant is used, where A1 is the area of the stream at the faucet, V1 is the initial velocity, A2 is the area of the stream 13cm below the faucet, and V2 is the final velocity. The formula \rho A v is also mentioned, which represents the volume of liquid passing through a given area per unit time. However, the correct answer is not obtained despite trying different calculations.
parttime
a stream of water in steady flow from a kitchen faucet. at the faucet the diameter of the stream is .96cm teh stream fill a 125cm^3 conaienr in 16.3s find teh diamiter if the stream 13cm below he opening if the faucet
i know that A1V1 = A2V2 = constant so pi *.49^2 *V1= pi r^2 *V2
how do i get the velocitys from (125cm^3 in 16.3s) to me that is the average v??

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT:

[tex]\rho A v[/tex]

is the volume of liquid that passes through a given area per unit time.

this is what i do and still don't get the right answer
solve for v with pAv =125cm^3/16.3s with p= density of water A= area of stream at the faucet so v = v1
with v1 i solve for v2 with v2^2 = v1+ 2 a (xf- xi)
having both velocitys i use A1v1=A2v2 and A2=pi * r^2 i to solve for r
i also change r1 to .0048m delta x to -.13m a=-9.8 when solving for v and vf where am i going wrong??

Related to Fluid mechanics faucet problem

What is the fluid mechanics faucet problem?

The fluid mechanics faucet problem refers to the challenge of understanding and predicting the flow of water through a faucet or tap. It involves studying the fluid dynamics, such as velocity and pressure, in order to design efficient and effective plumbing systems.

Why is the fluid mechanics faucet problem important?

The fluid mechanics faucet problem is important because it affects our daily lives, as we rely on faucets for access to clean water. Understanding how water flows through a faucet is also crucial for designing efficient plumbing systems in buildings and other infrastructure.

What factors affect the flow of water through a faucet?

There are several factors that affect the flow of water through a faucet, including the size and shape of the faucet, the pressure of the water supply, and the viscosity of the water. Other factors that may impact flow include obstructions in the pipes and the angle at which the water hits the sink.

How can the fluid mechanics faucet problem be solved?

The fluid mechanics faucet problem can be solved through mathematical equations and computer simulations, which can predict the flow of water through a faucet under different conditions. It can also be solved through experimentation and testing, using physical models to observe and measure the flow of water.

What are some practical applications of understanding the fluid mechanics faucet problem?

Understanding the fluid mechanics faucet problem has practical applications in many industries, including plumbing and water supply, as well as in the design of household appliances and industrial equipment. It can also be useful in environmental engineering, to study the flow of water through natural systems such as rivers and lakes.