Fluid mechanics : Barometer - slight confusion.

In summary, when a barometer is accelerated upwards, the effective acceleration will increase due to the acceleration of the system and the increased pressure at the interface between the mercury and the air in the trough. However, the air in the surrounding may not apply additional pressure, causing the mercury to rise in the column. The velocity pressure is a function of velocity, not acceleration, so at the initial moment of acceleration, the velocity pressure will be zero and the mercury will not rise in the column. Additionally, the entire column of air above the barometer may not be accelerated, leading to a delay in the equalization of pressure and the height of the mercury in the column. However, if the entire column of air is accelerated, the barometer
ludic
What would happen to the mercury in the column if a barometer is accelerated upwards?

In static condition, acceleration is g.

When the system moves upward with an acceleration a, effective acceleration = g + a.

The air above the mercury in the trough will press it with higher force (i.e the normal reaction force at this interface increases), so the pressure at this interface will be higher than atm. P . To make the pressure at the base of the column equal to this increased pressure, mercury rises in the column.

Am I not right in thinking that on being accelerated upward the mercury would rise in the column?
Please do point out where I am amiss if I am wrong.

Science news on Phys.org
Your answer assumes that the reservoir is exposed to an airstream while accelerating upwards. What about when it first starts accelerating? What if it is in an elevator? The air above the barometer need not apply additional pressure.

But why would we assume it otherwise ?

And my answer and explanation are sound if the air in the surrounding is not confined as in the elevator, right?

Acceleration will cause the mercury to get effectively heavier. That will make the column go down, not up.

Ram pressure will depend on velocity, not acceleration. That's currently an undefined quantity, because you only stated that there is an acceleration. At what moment in time should we consider the situation? What initial velocity was?

Please be so kind and patient to clarify this doubt:

I understand the part where mercury in column becomes heavier and goes down because of increased effective acceleration

What I don't understand is why - if we call the pressure of atmosphere it's weight upon unit surface area being considered - would the effective weight of atmosphere, and hence its pressure not increase on the barometer trough due to this same increased effective aceleration, and force the mercury in the column back up... effectively keeping the height of mercury in the column same as when the barometer was static.

Sorry I have never studied about Ram pressure... please tell me what is the flaw in the above reasoning.....

I am thinking that maybe what I reason considers the atmosphere above the trough static, but in actuality, it won't have any increased pressure because the air will shift sideways as the barometer ascends.

ludic said:
But why would we assume it otherwise ?
Because maybe the barometer is not exposed to a moving airstream - such as in the barometer in an elevator example I gave...
And my answer and explanation are sound if the air in the surrounding is not confined as in the elevator, right?
No.

If there is an airstream, the airstream starts off zero speed, while the acceleration will be non-zero. Velocity pressure is a function of velocity (squared), not acceleration, so when the airstream is moving slowly, the pressure will be very small.

The pressure and the acceleration are not proportionally related.
What I don't understand is why - if we call the pressure of atmosphere it's weight upon unit surface area being considered - would the effective weight of atmosphere, and hence its pressure not increase on the barometer trough due to this same increased effective aceleration... [/emphasis added]
The velocity pressure is a function of the velocity. So if the acceleration of the barometer is 10 m/s/s, the instant that acceleration begins, the velocity is still zero and the velocity pressure is therefore also still zero.

ludic said:
What I don't understand is why - if we call the pressure of atmosphere it's weight upon unit surface area being considered - would the effective weight of atmosphere, and hence its pressure not increase on the barometer trough due to this same increased effective aceleration, and force the mercury in the column back up... effectively keeping the height of mercury in the column same as when the barometer was static.
Ah, good question.

The reason is that the entire column of air above is not being accelerated when you accelerate the barometer upwards.

First of all, air can flow around. So you are only accelerating a fraction of air around barometer. That situation gets worse higher up, as air just parts to let barometer through, rather than accelerate with it.

Secondly, even if you did force all of the air to accelerate with barometer, it will take a rather long time for the disturbance to propagate upwards, and make the entire height accelerate.

If you were to put barometer at the bottom of an extremely tall cylinder, one that's tall enough to hold the entire height of the atmosphere (or just enough so that the everything above doesn't contribute significantly) then accelerate the whole structure, and let things settle, then when the entire column of air is accelerating at that constant rate, the barometer will again equalize.

But this is very far removed from situation where you just take barometer and accelerate it upwards.

I thank you both profoundly for your patient and analytical explanations.

Related to Fluid mechanics : Barometer - slight confusion.

What is a barometer?

A barometer is a scientific instrument used to measure atmospheric pressure. It consists of a long glass tube filled with mercury, which rises or falls depending on the pressure exerted by the air above it.

How does a barometer work?

A barometer works by using the weight of a column of mercury to measure the pressure exerted by the air. The higher the pressure, the higher the column of mercury rises, and vice versa.

What is the difference between a barometer and a manometer?

A barometer is specifically designed to measure atmospheric pressure, while a manometer can be used to measure the pressure of any gas or liquid. Additionally, a barometer typically uses mercury, while a manometer can use other fluids or gases.

What are the units of measurement for atmospheric pressure?

The most commonly used unit for atmospheric pressure is the pascal (Pa), which is equivalent to one newton per square meter. Another common unit is the bar, which is equal to 100,000 Pascals.

Why is atmospheric pressure important?

Atmospheric pressure is important because it affects many aspects of our daily lives, such as weather patterns, air travel, and even our own bodies. It also plays a crucial role in the functioning of many natural processes, such as the water cycle and the movement of ocean currents.