Fluid Force (Real-Life application) Find my error

In summary, the Navy aircraft carrier is in drydock and the captain wants to know how much force is being held back on the door. I found the dimensions of the door and calculated the average pressure, but now I'm having doubts. The average pressure is 11 psi, but I think the true pressure is 14.7 psi. I'm not sure what is causing the fluid force, but it may be due to temperature or density.
Tclack
So I'm in the Navy. I work on an aircraft carrier that just went into drydock. The drydock has a large trapezoid door keeping the water out on one side. Our captain wants to know how much force is being held back on that door. I found the dimensions of it and calculated it, but now I'm having doubts.

My work is in the attached document.

I DID keep in mind that the water only goes up 50 feet (though 60ft is the trapezoid's height)
In the end, I got a force of 12.9 million lbs. When I divide by the area of the door (8162sq.ft) I get an average pressure of ~11psi...

14.7 psi is atmospheric pressure telling me that my answer is wrong, but I can't see why! Any thoughts?

Attachments

• drydock problem.png
    drydock problem.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 786
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think your answer is wrong? Is the inside of the drydock evacuated before it is opened?

You have a couple of small errors in your calculations. Seawater weighs 64 lbf/ft^3, so the quantity you call ρ is actually ρ*g. When you first set up your integral to calculate force, the integrand should be 169.5x - (x^2)/4

What you are calculating is the force produced on the dock gate by the seawater alone. Remember, air pressure is present on both sides of the dock gate, so it can be neglected in determining the force acting on the gate from the seawater.

The hydrostatic head acting at the bottom of the dock gate is 50*64/144 = 22.2 psi, so your calculation of 11 psi average pressure seems reasonable.

oh yeah, the 1/4 was in my original paperwork, I just missed copying it down. nice catch.

I guess I'm just confused about this fluid force thing. What is causing the fluid force anyway? If it's just the random movement of the fluid molecules, then the higher the temperature, the more motion, so I would think more fluid force... BUT higher temperature makes the fluid LESS dense and by the equation, LESS force is felt... >o<

Tclack said:
I guess I'm just confused about this fluid force thing. What is causing the fluid force anyway? If it's just the random movement of the fluid molecules, then the higher the temperature, the more motion, so I would think more fluid force... BUT higher temperature makes the fluid LESS dense and by the equation, LESS force is felt... >o<
The force that the water exerts on the gate is due to gravity. All of the water molecules "feel" this force, but since water is relatively incompressible, the force acts in all directions. At the top surface of the water, there is no pressure, but as you go deeper, the pressure increases, due to the increasing number of water molecules above that level.

With higher temperature, the water gets less dense, but its volume is increasing. In a confined space, the height of the water has to increase. Keep in mind, though, that near freezing, the volume increases again, as the molecules are rearranged into a crystalline structure.

Likes 1 person
I'm sorry to keep returning to the atmospheric pressure thing, but. If one square foot was submerged 1 foot underwater (horizontally for simplicity's sake) that would be 1*64/144 = .444... psi. When just before being submerged, the atmosphere was applying 14.7 psi.

Would I add the atmospheric pressure? i.e. 15.1444 psi (for the 1 sq ft. submerged 1 ft)

But the drydock as SteamKing said would be pushed on both sides, cancelling out... right?

Last edited:
If you want absolute pressure, then the atmospheric pressure must be added. The change in pressure at the bottom of a water column is going to be ρgh or 64*h psf for seawater. Since the atmosphere covers the entire surface of the globe, it can be neglected, unless you are trying to find the pressure acting on a vessel which is either fully or partially evacuated.

Likes 1 person
Yeah, that's it the "change in pressure" vs. the "absolute Pressure" is what got me.

I suppose I could say that there's 25.7 psi on the drydock wall, but then there's 14.7 psi pushing back, and hence a net average of 11 psi felt along the drydock's Seawater side.

Thank's for the input everyone!

Related to Fluid Force (Real-Life application) Find my error

1. What is Fluid Force and how is it used in real life?

Fluid Force, also known as hydrostatic force, is the force exerted by a fluid on an object. It is commonly used in real life applications such as calculating the pressure on dams, designing ships and submarines, and understanding the flow of fluids in pipes.

2. What is the formula for calculating Fluid Force?

The formula for calculating Fluid Force is F = ρghA, where ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the depth of the fluid, and A is the area of the surface in contact with the fluid.

3. Can you give an example of a real life application of Fluid Force?

A common example of Fluid Force in real life is the design of dams. The force of the water against the dam is calculated using the formula F = ρghA, and engineers use this information to design the dam to withstand the pressure and prevent it from collapsing.

4. What are the units of measurement for Fluid Force?

The units of measurement for Fluid Force are typically in Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs), depending on the unit system being used. This is because Fluid Force is a type of force and follows the standard unit of measurement for force.

5. What is the most common error made when calculating Fluid Force?

The most common error made when calculating Fluid Force is forgetting to convert the units of measurement to the appropriate unit system. For example, if the density of the fluid is given in kg/m3, but the depth and area are given in feet, the units must be converted to ensure accuracy in the calculation.