Fluid dynamics - find distribution of a conserved variable

In summary: Hi Chet, thank you very much for your reply - it helped get me out of my rut and thinking in a new way. Here's what I've come up with:We've already found that x(t)=C2eaty(t)=C3e-atLet's say that the particle is at (x0,y0) at t=0. Thenx(t)=x0eaty(t)=y0e-atTherefore we can find out where the particle started by inverting the above equations:x0=x(t)e-aty0=y(t)eatNow, let's think about
chilge
I accidentally posted this to the "Calculus & Beyond" forum when I meant to post it to the physics forum. If someone can tell me how to move this post, I will get rid of it here!

Homework Statement

Consider a property, for example temperature θ, that is conserved during advection (i.e. Dθ/Dt = 0 where D/Dt represents the total derivative). Suppose the velocity of the field advecting the fluid is:

u = ax, v = -ay, w = 0

Find the form of the temperature for t > 0 when at t=0, θ(t=0) = θ0y/L.

Homework Equations

Dθ/Dt = ∂θ/∂t + u*(∂θ/∂x) + v*(∂θ/∂y)

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, I've calculated the trajectories:
x(t) = C1e^(at)
y(t) = C2e^(-at)

I also know that since θ is conserved, θ is a function of where in space the parcel originated. In other words, θ=θ(Y) where Y is the Lagrangian variable.

I've expanded the total derivative and set it equal to zero since θ is conserved:
(1) Dθ/Dt = ∂θ/∂t + u*(∂θ/∂x) + v*(∂θ/∂y) = 0

Then, I thought to say that θ(t)=(θ0y(t)/L)*f(t), where f(t) is some function of time that we want to find out so we can see what the function θ(t) looks like.

I took this θ(t)=(θ0y(t)/L)*f(t) and plugged it back into equation (1), but don't think I'm getting anywhere. Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track or if I'm going about this completely the wrong way?

Physics news on Phys.org
You started off OK, but then you started going in a fruitless direction. Let's focus on time zero. Let x(0) and y(0) be the coordinates of a material particle at time zero. So, at time zero, the "temperature" of the material particle is θ(x(0),y(0))=θ0y(0)/L. What do the lines of constant θ look like at time t = 0? When the fluid stretches the way it is described, does θ at later times vary with x? What do the lines of constant θ look like at later times t? If a material particle is at x(0) and y(0) at time zero, what are the coordinates of this same material point x(t) and y(t) at time t? What is the value of θ for the material point x(t) and y(t) at time t?

Chet

Likes 1 person
Hi Chet, thank you very much for your reply - it helped get me out of my rut and thinking in a new way. Here's what I've come up with:

We've already found that
x(t)=C2eat
y(t)=C3e-at

Let's say that the particle is at (x0,y0) at t=0. Then
x(t)=x0eat
y(t)=y0e-at

Therefore we can find out where the particle started by inverting the above equations:
x0=x(t)e-at
y0=y(t)eat

Now, let's think about a particle that has traveled to the point (x(t),y(t)). Since θ is conserved, in order to get the particle's temperature θ(t) all we need to know is its original y-coordinate (and we are lucky here because the equations for x(t) and y(t) are not coupled). In other words,
θ(x,y,t)=θ0*y(t=0)/L=θ0*y0/L

Thus the final answer is
θ(x,y,t)=θ0*y(t)*exp(at)/L

Do you think this looks better now? I think before I was getting caught up in trying to plug things into the total derivative instead of thinking about the picture of an individual parcel.

Last edited:
Excellent job. Very nice.

Chet

Hi there! It looks like you are on the right track. However, instead of plugging in your proposed solution for θ(t), try using the given velocity field to express the total derivative in terms of y and t. Then, set it equal to zero and solve for θ(y). This will give you the distribution of temperature as a function of y and time. You can then use your initial condition, θ(t=0) = θ0y/L, to determine the specific form of the function f(t). Let me know if you need any further assistance. Good luck!

Related to Fluid dynamics - find distribution of a conserved variable

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of fluids (liquids and gases) and the forces acting on them. It involves the study of how fluids flow, interact with each other and their surroundings, and how they transfer energy and momentum.

2. What is a conserved variable in fluid dynamics?

A conserved variable in fluid dynamics is a physical quantity that remains constant throughout the flow of a fluid. This can include mass, energy, momentum, and angular momentum. These variables are important in understanding the behavior of fluids and can be used to find the distribution of other variables.

3. Why is it important to find the distribution of a conserved variable in fluid dynamics?

The distribution of a conserved variable in fluid dynamics can provide valuable information about the behavior of fluids and their interactions with their surroundings. It can help in predicting how a fluid will flow and how it will affect its environment. This information is crucial in many fields, such as engineering, meteorology, and oceanography.

4. What methods are used to find the distribution of a conserved variable in fluid dynamics?

There are several methods used to find the distribution of a conserved variable in fluid dynamics. These include analytical methods, such as solving differential equations, and numerical methods, such as using computer simulations. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the problem and the desired level of accuracy.

5. What are some real-world applications of fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics has many real-world applications, such as designing efficient airplane wings and car bodies, predicting weather patterns, and understanding ocean currents. It is also used in designing pipelines, pumps, and turbines for industrial processes, and in medical fields for studying blood flow and respiratory systems. Additionally, fluid dynamics plays a crucial role in understanding natural phenomena, such as the formation of hurricanes and the movement of volcanic eruptions.