Fluctuation Theorem, Big Bang Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of entropy decreasing at the beginning of the universe due to the smaller area in which it takes place. This raises questions about the concept of time and whether quantum fluctuations could affect the balance between entropy decrease and increase, leading to the universe as we know it. The conversation also touches on the idea of time and spatial dimensions emerging from the Big Bang singularity.
Lucretius
I have a question. I decided not to put it in the "theory" section because I'm no physicist and I don't know if I'm right.

From what I understand about the fluctuation theorem, the smaller the area in which it takes place, the more likely entropy is to decrease. Could it be at the beginning of the universe, when everything was very very small, that entropy decreased as often as it increased? Would this get rid of the notion of time? Could quantum fluctuations throw off this balance between decrease and increase, which would lead to the forward flow of time and the universe as we know it?

I hope these aren't too many questions.

Thanks,
Lucretius

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If you posit a BB singularity, time did not initially exist. So in that sense your question is on target. Many models predict that time and spatial dimensions emerged from the BB - even before matter and energy. What happens after that is more interesting.

Related to Fluctuation Theorem, Big Bang Question

1. What is the Fluctuation Theorem?

The Fluctuation Theorem is a fundamental principle in statistical physics that describes the behavior of systems that are far from equilibrium. It states that the probability of a system experiencing a large deviation from its average behavior is exponentially small, and that the magnitude of this deviation is related to the dissipated energy in the system.

2. How does the Fluctuation Theorem relate to the Big Bang Theory?

The Fluctuation Theorem is relevant to the Big Bang Theory because it helps to explain the initial conditions of the universe. According to the theorem, the universe started in a state of low entropy, with all matter and energy concentrated in a highly ordered state. As the universe expanded and cooled, fluctuations in energy and matter occurred, leading to the formation of galaxies, stars, and ultimately life.

3. What evidence supports the Fluctuation Theorem?

Experimental evidence for the Fluctuation Theorem has been observed in a variety of systems, including gases, fluids, and even biological systems. These experiments have shown that the probability of large fluctuations in these systems is consistent with the predictions of the Fluctuation Theorem.

4. Can the Fluctuation Theorem be applied to other systems besides the universe?

Yes, the Fluctuation Theorem can be applied to a wide range of systems, including physical, biological, and social systems. It is a fundamental principle that describes the behavior of systems far from equilibrium, and has been successfully applied in various fields of science.

5. How does the Fluctuation Theorem affect our understanding of thermodynamics?

The Fluctuation Theorem has greatly impacted our understanding of thermodynamics by providing a statistical description of systems far from equilibrium. It has also led to the development of new theories and models for predicting and understanding the behavior of complex systems, and has shed new light on the origin and evolution of the universe.