Flow Rate Calculation: Get Help Solving

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the flow rate through a duct with a parabolic profile and provided velocity values at different radii. The equation Q=A*v is mentioned, and there is a question about how to initiate the calculation. The use of integration is suggested to determine the total flow rate.
sehrish shakir
hello!
i was provided by the radii from 0 to 5 cm and a parabolic profile is also given .. in numeric form i was asked to calculate the flow rate how to understand it to solve further kindly help

Engineering news on Phys.org
sehrish shakir said:
hello!
i was provided by the radii from 0 to 5 cm and a parabolic profile is also given .. in numeric form i was asked to calculate the flow rate how to understand it to solve further kindly help
Please provide more detail about the locations where the velocity is provided, and the velocity values.

Likes sehrish shakir
Thank you for kind response sir ,
it was a question in exam ... like
r=0,1,2,3,4,5
v=2,1.92,1.68,1.28,0.72,0
numerical values may be some digits different but i need to understand a problem .
now if diameter is 10cm then calculate the flow rate ?

Last edited:
You said that the profile is parabolic. Do you know how to determine the equation for the parabola that satisfies this data? If you knew the equation for the parabola of v vs r, would you know how to determine the volumertic flow rate?

Likes sehrish shakir
Vz\Vm=2(1-r^2/R^2)
this is the relation
Q=A*v
but how to initiate ?
should i specified the boundary condition then integerate or can do some numerical analysis to evaluate integeral or find out the mean value of velocity then proceed ...

i assumed it is parabolic as laminar has parabolic profile ..flow was laminar

sehrish shakir said:
Vz\Vm=2(1-r^2/R^2)
this is the relation
Q=A*v
but how to initiate ?
No.
$$Q=\int_0^R{v_z(2\pi r)dr}$$
Does this make sense?

Likes sehrish shakir
Chestermiller said:
No.
$$Q=\int_0^R{v_z(2\pi r)dr}$$
Does this make sense?
thank you for reply sir,
yes i got it, it is the total flow rate through duct .

Related to Flow Rate Calculation: Get Help Solving

What is flow rate and why is it important to calculate?

Flow rate is the measurement of how much fluid (liquid or gas) is moving through a system per unit of time. It is important to calculate because it allows scientists and engineers to understand and predict the behavior and performance of fluid systems, such as pipelines, pumps, and ventilation systems.

How do you calculate flow rate?

Flow rate can be calculated by dividing the volume of fluid passing through a system by the time it takes for the fluid to pass through. The formula is: Flow Rate = Volume / Time.

What are some common units of measurement for flow rate?

Some common units of measurement for flow rate include liters per second, cubic meters per hour, and gallons per minute. The specific unit used will depend on the type of fluid being measured and the application.

What factors can affect flow rate?

There are several factors that can affect flow rate, including the viscosity of the fluid, the size and shape of the pipe or channel, and the pressure and temperature of the fluid. Other factors such as obstructions, turbulence, and changes in elevation can also impact flow rate.

How can I get help with solving flow rate calculations?

There are various resources available for getting help with solving flow rate calculations, such as online calculators, textbooks, and consulting with experts in the field. Additionally, many universities and organizations offer workshops and courses on fluid mechanics and flow rate calculations.