Flow Measurement - Pitot Static Tubes Bernoulli's Equation etc.?

In summary, a Pitot-static tube connected to a water manometer can be used to measure the velocity of air. If the deflection between the two arms of the manometer is 12.4cm, the air velocity can be determined using the Bernoulli equation, given that the density of air is 1.25kgm-3 and the density of water in the manometer is 1000kg/m3.
felixj500
A Pitot-static tube connected to water manometer is used to measure the velocity of air. If the deflection between the two arms of the manometer is 12.4cm, determine the air velocity when the density of air is 1.25kgm-3 and the density of the water in the manometer is 1000kg/m3.

I am not really sure where to start as i don't have the pressures...do i?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have the pressure differential since you have the difference in height of the two sides of the manometer.

Thank you for your reply, so what equation do i use from here? My pressure differential is 12.4 cm?

Thanks

You already said it. Bernoulli.

Related to Flow Measurement - Pitot Static Tubes Bernoulli's Equation etc.?

1. How does a Pitot tube measure flow?

A Pitot tube is a device used to measure the velocity of a fluid flow. It works by using two tubes - one that faces directly into the flow (the Pitot tube) and one that is perpendicular to the flow (the static tube). The difference in pressure between these two tubes is used to calculate the velocity of the fluid using Bernoulli's equation.

2. What is Bernoulli's equation and how is it used in flow measurement?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental principle in fluid mechanics that states that the total energy of a fluid in motion is constant. It is used in flow measurement by relating the pressure difference between the Pitot tube and the static tube to the velocity of the fluid. This allows for the calculation of flow rate.

3. What are the advantages of using a Pitot tube for flow measurement?

Some advantages of using a Pitot tube include its simplicity and reliability. It is a relatively inexpensive device and does not require any external power source. Additionally, Pitot tubes can be used for a wide range of flow rates and in a variety of fluid types.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Pitot tube for flow measurement?

One of the main limitations of using a Pitot tube is that it can only measure flow in one direction. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurement may be affected by factors such as the size and shape of the Pitot tube, the velocity profile of the fluid, and any obstructions in the flow.

5. How do Pitot tubes compare to other flow measurement devices?

Pitot tubes have some advantages over other flow measurement devices, such as their simplicity and low cost. However, they may not be as accurate as other devices such as ultrasonic flow meters or electromagnetic flow meters. The choice of flow measurement device will depend on the specific application and the level of accuracy required.