Flow Lines of Vector Field F = sec(x) i + k

In summary, the conversation discusses how to define the vector field F and express its flow lines in equations form. The speaker has found that the flow lines can be expressed as z = sin(x) + C, for some constant C, but is unsure of how to proceed with the next question regarding the particular flow line through a given point. They mention looking up resources and discussing potentially using a system of ordinary differential equations, but are unsure of where to start since the vector field and flow line equations do not involve a function of y. The conversation also includes a mention of creating plots to help with understanding.
stripes

Homework Statement

Define the vector field F = sec(x) i + k
(a) Express the flow lines of F in equations form.

(b) Express in equations form the particular flow line through the point (0, 3, 2).

My next question is a bonus question. I'm just reading up on this now but if someone could kind of give me an intuitive grasp on the ideas related to the question, that'd be great. Mainly my question is the one above, not so much the bonus (though I could really use the marks).

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found that the flow lines are z = sin(x) + C, for some constant C. I imagine this is in "equations form" (as opposed to parametric form). Now since I missed the class where we discussed flow lines of a vector field, I am stuck on the next question.

I have tried looking up some resources online, and I have seen some websites say I need to solve a system of ordinary differential equations. But I'm unsure how to arrive at such a situation, and we don't discuss ODEs in this course.

We have no functions of y; the vector field only has a function of x, and the equation of the flow lines also has no y in it. Where do I start?

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 324
Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure whether 'equations form' is as opposed to parametric or as opposed to vector. Anyway, it's clearly not vector form, so to define a line in 3-space will require two equations.
Based on what you have worked out, how will y interact with x and z in these equations?

I will help you with a couple o'plots:

First: Plot of all flow lines / you got that right /
Bn0yHam.png

Second: Plot of all flow lines + plot of the equation which runs through the point (0,3,2)
CzaKSbn.png

Related to Flow Lines of Vector Field F = sec(x) i + k

1. What is a flow curve of a vector field?

A flow curve of a vector field is a path that shows the direction and magnitude of the vector field at each point along the curve. It is essentially a visual representation of how a particle would move through the vector field.

2. How are flow curves different from streamlines?

Flow curves and streamlines are similar in that they both show the direction and magnitude of a vector field. However, flow curves are specific paths that particles would follow, while streamlines are imaginary lines that are tangent to the vector field at every point.

3. What factors influence the shape of flow curves?

The shape of flow curves is influenced by the magnitude and direction of the vector field, as well as any boundaries or obstacles in the field. External forces, such as gravity or friction, may also affect the shape of flow curves.

4. How are flow curves useful in studying vector fields?

Flow curves provide a visual representation of how particles would move through a vector field, allowing scientists to understand the behavior and patterns of the field. They can also be used to predict the movement of particles in a given vector field.

5. Can flow curves exist in three dimensions?

Yes, flow curves can exist in three dimensions just like they can in two dimensions. In three dimensions, flow curves are represented as paths in space rather than on a 2D plane.