Flat Plate Deflection & stress - HDPE

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to account for the larger Poisson's ratio of HDPE (0.38-0.4) when analyzing flat plates subjected to hydrostatic water pressures. They are considering a rectangular plate with fixed edges and a uniform UDL. The individual has found that most available formulas are based on steel with a Poisson's ratio of 0.3. One possible method to account for this is to decrease the area by a factor of (0.4 / 0.3)^2 = 1.78 and multiply the calculated stresses by this factor. It is recommended to use a valid value of yield stress and limit loads to less than 40% of yield stress.
Antony S
Hi,

I'm trying to carryout some analysis of flat plates subjected to hydrostatic water pressures however the plate material is HDPE.

The problem I'm having is that all the formulae on the web and in Roark's 7th Edition are typical of steel with a Poisson's ratio of 0.3. I can't therefore find how to change the formulae or constants to account for the larger Poission's ratio that would be expected with HDPE (0.38-0.4).

To keep things simple I'm just considering a rectangular plate with fixed edges and a uniform UDL over the whole area as opposed to a triangulated load.

Can anybody offer advice on how best to deal with the stress and deflection of an HDPE plate?

Thanks in advance...

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is a good question. I know the errors in these formulas are no more than 3% for Poisson's ratio (PR) of 0.26 to 0.34 (REF: Machinery Handbook).

For the deflection, you can just use the same formula and the modulus of elasticity of HDPE.

For the stress, one possible method is as follows. From, the definition of PR, your HDPE will have a decease in diamater ("neck down") compared to PR=3 by the ratio: 0.4 / 0.3. So the area will decrease by the ratio: (0.4 / 0.3)^2 = 1.78.

Thus, for initial estimating, I would multiply the stresses you calculate by a factor of 1.78. Be sure to use a valid value of yield stress. And I would recommend limiting your loads to less than 40% yield stress.

EDIT:

I have a feeling my 1.78 factor on calculated stresses is too high (but will provide conservative results).

Last edited:
Thank you, this will be a good starting point.

Related to Flat Plate Deflection & stress - HDPE

What is the definition of flat plate deflection?

Flat plate deflection refers to the bending or deformation that occurs in a flat plate when a load is applied to it.

What causes flat plate deflection?

Flat plate deflection is caused by the stress and strain that is created when a load is applied to the plate. The amount of deflection depends on the material properties of the plate, the type and magnitude of the load, and the dimensions of the plate.

How is flat plate deflection calculated?

The deflection of a flat plate can be calculated using various equations and formulas, depending on the type of load and the properties of the plate. Some common methods include the use of moment-area theorems, finite element analysis, and beam bending equations.

What is the relationship between deflection and stress in HDPE flat plates?

In HDPE flat plates, the deflection and stress are directly related. As the plate deflects under a load, the stress in the material increases. If the stress exceeds the yield strength of the HDPE, the plate may permanently deform or even fail.

How can deflection and stress in HDPE flat plates be minimized?

To minimize deflection and stress in HDPE flat plates, engineers can adjust the dimensions of the plate, choose a thicker or stronger material, or use reinforcement techniques such as ribbing or adding support beams. Additionally, distributing the load evenly across the plate can also help reduce deflection and stress.