Fixing Strange WIFI Problem: ADSL Connection & WIFI Antenna Box Explained

In summary, the ADSL WIFI box stops loading the pages after a certain point on maps.google.com because of packet loss on the WiFi connection. A different channel may be able to eliminate interference.
oldtobor
I have an ADSL connection to my PC. I bought an ADSL WIFI antenna box so I can receive the high speed internet network on my notebook in the other room or backyard of my house. It works OK, I can even completely turn off my desktop PC and just connet the WIFI box - antenna to power supply and telephone line and I can get the network on my notebook.

But when I try to see a satellite image of a large city like brooklyn through maps.google.com, it only loads a number of picture frames and then gets stuck at 18 frames remaining. Even on my notebook it gets stuck at 18 frames. But if I use the normal ADSL box (not antenna and on my desktop) it works OK . Why does this WIFI box stop loading the pages after a certain point ? IS it something about the box that doesn't work ? All the other web pages load properly, the fact that it gets stuck on big cities in maps.google.com is really strange. Anyone have any idea about something like this ? thanks for any answers.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You probably have a bit of packet loss on the WiFi connection. Consider the location of the access point, try different radio channels to see if you can eliminate interference, etc.

- Warren

Thanks for some clues. So how can I try different radio channels if the adsl wifi router is simply a box and there is no way to configure it ? Even when the box is attached to the power and telephone line only, how can I make it use other channels ? I found the box already set up by a friend so I am really not sure if there is some way it can be configured.

Also for the notebook should I try to just find a position in space compared to the wifi box that could make the signal arrive without loss ? a bit like moving an antenna for a tv set to get better reception ? thanks for any other ideas.

You should be able to configure it via your web browser. Read the owner's manual.

- Warren

Related to Fixing Strange WIFI Problem: ADSL Connection & WIFI Antenna Box Explained

1. What is an ADSL connection?

An ADSL (Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line) connection is a type of broadband internet connection that uses existing telephone lines to transmit data. It allows for faster download speeds than traditional dial-up connections.

2. How does a WIFI antenna box work?

A WIFI antenna box is a device that connects to your router and amplifies the signal to extend the range of your WIFI network. It uses antennas to send and receive radio signals, allowing devices to connect to the internet wirelessly.

3. What could be causing a strange WIFI problem?

There are several factors that could contribute to a strange WIFI problem, such as interference from other electronic devices, outdated firmware or software, or physical obstructions blocking the WIFI signal.

4. How can I fix a strange WIFI problem?

First, try restarting your router and modem. If that doesn't work, check for any firmware or software updates for your devices. You can also try moving your router to a more central location in your home or using a WIFI extender to boost the signal. If the issue persists, contact your internet service provider for further assistance.

5. Can I troubleshoot a strange WIFI problem on my own?

Yes, in many cases, you can troubleshoot and fix a strange WIFI problem on your own by following some basic steps. However, if the issue persists or you are not comfortable troubleshooting on your own, it is best to contact your internet service provider or a professional for assistance.