Fixing "Keyword parameters not allowed" Error in IDL Function

In summary, the conversation is about a user trying to specify the binsize in their IDL function, but encountering an error when using the keyword parameter. They share relevant code and ask for help with the syntax. The expert suggests using "if keyword_set(x)" instead of "if KEYWORD_SET(x)" to avoid the compile error.
big man

Homework Statement

I've created a function inside IDL and I want to be able to specify the binsize.
That is, I want to have:

result = myfunction(array, keyword)

Whenever I add the keyword in the brackets there it says:

"Keyword parameters not allowed in call."

2. Relevant code

FUNCTION histimage, array, binsize=x

If KEYWORD_SET(x) then $

count = uintarr(256/x)
array = array*(1/x)
array=round(array)

*end if else begin
count = uintarr(256)

for j = 0,255 do begin
for k = 0,255 do begin
count(array(j,K)) = count(array(j,k)) + 1
endfor
endfor

Return, count

END

Histimage is the name of my function and binsize is the keyword. The point in the code where there is a * shows where I get a compile error as well. I can't see why I get this error and was hoping that someone could tell me if I've used incorrect syntax.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, hope this isn't too late to be of help, I stumbled across this looking for help on keyword syntax.

In IDL I think you need:

if keyword_set(x) then blah
if not keyword_set(x) then bleh

I think that's why you're getting a compile error at "endif else begin", as it's not the correct syntax for the keyword_set function.

it is important to carefully check syntax and understand error messages in order to effectively troubleshoot and debug code. In this case, the error message "Keyword parameters not allowed in call" indicates that the use of a keyword in the function call is not allowed. This could be due to a few reasons, such as incorrect syntax or the keyword not being defined in the function.

In order to fix this error, it is important to double check the syntax of the function and ensure that the keyword is properly defined within the function itself. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult the IDL documentation or seek assistance from other experienced programmers to troubleshoot the issue. With careful attention to detail and a thorough understanding of the code, the "Keyword parameters not allowed" error can be resolved and the desired functionality can be achieved.

Related to Fixing "Keyword parameters not allowed" Error in IDL Function

What causes the "Keyword parameters not allowed" error in IDL function?

The "Keyword parameters not allowed" error in IDL function is caused by attempting to pass keyword parameters to a function that does not have a keyword parameter definition. This means that the function was not designed to accept keyword parameters as inputs.

How can I fix the "Keyword parameters not allowed" error?

To fix the "Keyword parameters not allowed" error, you will need to either remove the keyword parameters from the function call or modify the function to include a keyword parameter definition. If the function is a built-in IDL function, it is not possible to modify it, so you will need to remove the keyword parameters from the function call.

Can I use keyword parameters in all IDL functions?

No, not all IDL functions are designed to accept keyword parameters as inputs. You will need to check the documentation for the specific function to see if keyword parameters are allowed.

Are there any alternatives to using keyword parameters in IDL functions?

Yes, you can use positional parameters instead of keyword parameters in IDL functions. Positional parameters are inputs passed to a function in a specific order, rather than being named with keywords. This may be a better option if you are encountering the "Keyword parameters not allowed" error.

Is there a way to check for keyword parameter compatibility before calling an IDL function?

Yes, you can use the Query_KW_Params function in IDL to check if a function allows keyword parameters. This function will return a boolean value indicating whether keyword parameters are allowed for the specified function.