Fixing Error: 10 Particles Got Lost in Fast Reactor Model

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with running a fast reactor model due to particles getting lost. The goal of the model is to obtain axial flux and power distributions, but the model is divided into different zones with F7 and F4 tallies. The issue may be a geometry error, which can be found by carefully examining the output file. It is also mentioned that particles may escape out into space outside of the simulation, similar to real particles in a real reactor.
Juan Ar
Hi

I am trying to run a fast reactor model but I cannot figure out what is happening because I get the error: run terminated because 10 particles got lost. I am using the sdef card (with and without parameters) and the model is not running. Hope you can help me to fix any mistake I did. The goal in this model is to obtain the axial flux distribution as well as the axial power distribution so I divided the model in different zones to use a F7 and a F4 tally in each one of this zone. I attach the file.

Thanks

Attachments

• 3zones.txt
    20.2 KB · Views: 537
Engineering news on Phys.org
Perhaps by describing it in more detail and questioning how you setup your model you will find your missing particles.

Is it possible that this can happen in a normal simulation without it being wrong?

Could the particles have trajectories that just escape out into space that is outside of your simulation just like real particles in a real reactor?

This happens usually only if there is a geometry error. Perhaps the region where there is an error is so small, it might not be visible in the plot. If you carefully go through the output file, MCNP prints out details of every single lost particle, it's last known location, cell and transport vector. That should lead you right to the location of the geometry error.

Related to Fixing Error: 10 Particles Got Lost in Fast Reactor Model

1. How did the error occur in the first place?

The error could have occurred due to a number of reasons such as a mistake in the code, incorrect input parameters, or a bug in the software. It is important to carefully review the code and inputs to identify the source of the error.

2. Can the lost particles be recovered?

In most cases, it is not possible to recover the lost particles. However, the error can be fixed by identifying and addressing the underlying issue that caused the particles to be lost. This will ensure that future simulations do not encounter the same error.

3. Is there a way to prevent this error from happening again?

Yes, there are ways to prevent this error from occurring again. First, it is important to thoroughly test the code before running simulations. Additionally, regularly checking for and fixing any bugs or issues in the code can help prevent this error from happening in the future.

4. How long will it take to fix the error?

The time it takes to fix the error can vary depending on the complexity of the issue. It may take a few hours to a few days, and in some cases, it may require collaboration with other scientists or experts in the field.

5. Will fixing the error affect the accuracy of the results?

Fixing the error should not affect the accuracy of the results as long as the issue is properly identified and addressed. It is important to carefully review the results after fixing the error to ensure there are no other issues that may impact the accuracy.