Fitting a model to astronomical data

In summary, the process of determining the value of cosmological parameters by LMS fitting tunitions of the form z = f(DL) is based on the function t = t(a) = t (1+z) calculated from the Friedmann equation with selected values for the five parameters, h0 and the four Ωs which sum to unity. The values of the five parameters that result in the smallest value for B are then the values that have been determined by the astronomical data. The weights used the calculate B are the recipricals of the widths (distance error ranges) of the horizontal observational errors bars for each data point.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
I have several questions about the process of determining the value of cosmological parameters by LMS fitting tunctions of the form z = f(DL) (where DL is the luminosity distance to astronomical data points), for example, as shown in the following diagram:
HubbleDiagram-26Mar2015.PNG

The five cosmological parameters I am thinking of are: H0, and the four density ratios (which sum to unity).

To set the context for my questions, I first present my (possiibly incorrect) assumptions about the process.

The particular z = f(DL) function for one model would be somehow based on the function
t = t(a) = t (1+z) calculated from the Friedmann equation
FriedmannEqWithOmegas.png

with selected values for the five parameters, h0 and the four Ωs which sum to unity. For each set of five parameters, a badness of fit measure B is calculated (i.e., the weighted sum of the squares of differences between the acutal astronomical values (the dots in the diagram)) and he corresponding points on the z = f(DL) curve . The values of the five parameters that result in the smallest value for B are then the values that have been determined by the astronomical data. The weights used the calulate B are the recipricals of the widths (distance error ranges) of the horizontal observational errors bars for each data point.

Questions:
(a) Are my assumptions OK?
(b) What is the form of the z = f(DL) function in terms of a model's t(1+z) function.
(c) While I have seen values with error ranges published for the parameters, I have not seen any values given for the probability that a given parameter is significantly different than zero, (that is some kind of statistical test showing the probability that the null-hypothesis is false). Does anyone know if someone has done such a calculation?

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
What's actually used are maximum-likelihood methods. For a given choice of parameters, it's possible to calculate the probability of the observed data given those parameters. Then you've got two (primary) choices of how to proceed:
1. You can use hill-climbing software to find the maximum likelihood point. It's then possible to take the derivatives of the likelihood function around that point in order to estimate the probability distribution.
2. You can use a random stepping algorithm to estimate the probability of lots of different points in the parameter space, empirically estimating the full probability distribution. This kind of technique is known as Markov Chain Monte Carlo.

In physics, it's not common for people to directly estimate the probability that a parameter is different from zero, though it's possible to back-estimate this probability from the more typical results of parameter value + error bar.

Thank you Chalnoth. I am familiar with your methods 1 and 2, but I will have to look up maximum-likelihood methods.

Related to Fitting a model to astronomical data

1. How do you choose the best model to fit astronomical data?

Choosing the best model to fit astronomical data involves a combination of scientific knowledge, statistical analysis, and trial and error. It is important to select a model that accurately describes the data and has a strong theoretical basis. Additionally, it should have a good fit to the data points and be able to make reliable predictions. Comparing multiple models and using statistical tests can help determine which model is the most appropriate.

2. What factors should be considered when fitting a model to astronomical data?

When fitting a model to astronomical data, factors such as the type of data (e.g. images, spectra, light curves), the quality and quantity of data, the physical properties of the astronomical object being studied, and the expected behavior of the data should all be taken into consideration. It is also important to consider any potential sources of error or bias in the data.

3. What techniques can be used to improve the fit of a model to astronomical data?

There are several techniques that can be used to improve the fit of a model to astronomical data. These include refining the model parameters, incorporating more data points, using more sophisticated statistical methods, and accounting for any systematic errors in the data. It may also be helpful to compare the model to data from other sources or to test different assumptions and scenarios.

4. Can a model be overfit to astronomical data?

Yes, a model can be overfit to astronomical data. Overfitting occurs when a model is too complex and fits the data too closely, resulting in a poor fit to new data points and unreliable predictions. This can happen when there are too many parameters in the model or when the model is too specific to the particular dataset being used. It is important to balance model complexity and simplicity to avoid overfitting.

5. How can the uncertainty in the model fit be determined?

The uncertainty in the model fit can be determined through statistical methods such as calculating confidence intervals or using Bayesian analysis. These techniques take into account the variability in the data and provide a range of values in which the true model parameters are likely to fall. It is important to consider the uncertainty in the model fit when interpreting the results and making conclusions from the data.