Fish Pulling on Reel: Angular Accel. & Line Pulled

• Thread starter premedonna89
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed a fish pulling on a fishing reel with a force of 1.8 N, and the reel being a solid cylinder with a radius of 0.064 m and a mass of 0.80 kg. The question asked for the angular acceleration of the reel, and the solution involved calculating the inertia and using the equation I*α = Torque = F*r. The second question asked for the amount of line pulled from the reel in 0.17 seconds, but this could not be answered without knowing the angular acceleration.
premedonna89

Homework Statement

A fish takes the bait and pulls on the line with a force of 1.8 N. The fishing reel, which rotates counterclockwise without friction, is a solid cylinder of radius 0.064 m and mass 0.80 kg.

(a) What is the angular acceleration vector of the fishing reel?
rad/s2

(b) How much line does the fish pull from the reel in 0.17 s?
m

Homework Equations

Torque = Inertia x angular acceleration
Inertia = 1/2 x Mass x Radius^2 (for solid cylinders/discs)
Angular Acceleration = acceleration/radius (I personally didn't think this was necessary, but then again I didn't get the right answer)

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply calculated Inertia by:

1/2 x 0.8 kg x (0.064 m)^2 = 1.6384 x 10^-3

Then I tried to calculate angular acceleration by:

1.8 N / (1.6384 x 10^-3) = 1098.63 rad/sec ^2

I was told by WebAssign that this was incorrect...so I entered it as a negative value (-1098.63) in case I was confused regarding the counterclockwise direction of the reel, but this was also considered incorrect.

I have not attempted part B yet because my approach for part B would involve knowing the angular acceleration.

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi premedonna89, welcome to PF.
I*α = Torque = F*r.
Try this one.

rl.bhat said:
Hi premedonna89, welcome to PF.
I*α = Torque = F*r.
Try this one.

ah!

Torque = 1.8 x 0.064

*blush*

thank you!

Related to Fish Pulling on Reel: Angular Accel. & Line Pulled

1. How does the angular acceleration of a fish pulling on a reel affect the line being pulled?

The angular acceleration of a fish pulling on a reel can greatly impact the amount of line being pulled. As the fish exerts a force on the reel, the reel will begin to rotate, causing the line to be pulled. The faster the reel rotates, the more line will be pulled per unit of time, resulting in a higher angular acceleration.

2. What factors influence the amount of line pulled when a fish is pulling on a reel?

There are several factors that can affect the amount of line pulled when a fish is pulling on a reel. These include the size and strength of the fish, the gear ratio of the reel, the tension on the line, and the angle at which the line is being pulled.

3. Can the line being pulled by a fish on a reel ever exceed the maximum line strength?

Yes, it is possible for the line being pulled by a fish on a reel to exceed the maximum line strength. This can happen if the fish is particularly strong or if the tension on the line is too high. In these cases, the line may break or the reel may become overpowered and fail.

4. How does the drag setting on a reel affect the amount of line pulled by a fish?

The drag setting on a reel can have a significant impact on the amount of line pulled by a fish. A higher drag setting will make it more difficult for the fish to pull line, resulting in a lower angular acceleration and slower line retrieval. A lower drag setting, on the other hand, will allow the fish to pull more line and result in a higher angular acceleration and faster line retrieval.

5. Is there a way to accurately measure the angular acceleration of a fish pulling on a reel?

Yes, there are various methods for measuring the angular acceleration of a fish pulling on a reel. One method is to use a specialized reel with sensors that can measure and display the angular acceleration in real-time. Another method is to use mathematical calculations based on the gear ratio, line tension, and other variables to estimate the angular acceleration.