Fish Hobbyists: Curing Ich in 10 gal Tank

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around treating an ich infection in a 10 gallon tank with cherry barbs, kuhli loaches, a betta, and one shrimp. Some suggested home remedies include using a product called Quickcure, followed by an antibiotic, adding tobacco or salt to the tank, or using a UV sterilizer. Others recommend raising the temperature and doing frequent water changes, and adding antibiotics to prevent secondary infections. There is also a discussion about using hydrogen peroxide and tobacco to treat the fish and the tank. One person recommends using eSHa EXIT as the most effective cure for ich.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Doh. I should have quarantined my new fish. Now my tank's infected with ich.

Like to hear your home-brewed solutions for curing ich. (And if anyone swears by any particular meds (Furan II?), I'll hear that too).

10 gal tank, cherry barbs, kuhli loaches, betta, and one shrimp (an invertebrate, which I'll sacrifice if it comes to it.)

Biology news on Phys.org
I always go for a 2 fold cure, first I use a product called Quickcure, then a antiboitic, just in case they pick up a secondary infection. Make sure to follow the correct lenth of time for treatment. Also remove the charcoal from the filter durring treatment, or the meds will get stuck in it.
Hope your little guys will be feeling better soon!

hypatia said:
I always go for a 2 fold cure, first I use a product called Quickcure, then a antiboitic, just in case they pick up a secondary infection. Make sure to follow the correct lenth of time for treatment. Also remove the charcoal from the filter durring treatment, or the meds will get stuck in it.
Hope your little guys will be feeling better soon!
Do you directly treat your tank, or a quarantine tank?

After a malachite green disaster, I started swabbing my ich cases with 1% hydrogen peroxide (just cut drugstore stuff 3:1), and adding tobacco, couple Chesterfields or Pall Malls to a 75 gal tank --- so maybe a quarter of a cigarette in 10, to kill the rest of the arthropods. Move your shrimp to a mason jar --- there's no point to gratuitously sacrificing the little guy.

If you do try the peroxide, use a Q-tip, and keep it away from the eyes and gills --- I don't know that anything bad would result, but I didn't want to take the chance, and haven't had problems since.

Your mileage may vary.

I treat the whole tank, I found it was less stressful.

Bystander said:
After a malachite green disaster, I started swabbing my ich cases with 1% hydrogen peroxide (just cut drugstore stuff 3:1), and adding tobacco, couple Chesterfields or Pall Malls to a 75 gal tank --- so maybe a quarter of a cigarette in 10, to kill the rest of the arthropods. Move your shrimp to a mason jar --- there's no point to gratuitously sacrificing the little guy.
If you do try the peroxide, use a Q-tip, and keep it away from the eyes and gills --- I don't know that anything bad would result, but I didn't want to take the chance, and haven't had problems since.
Your mileage may vary.
This will treat the fish but it won't treat the tank. They'll just get re-infected.

Oh. I'd almost forgotten about salt as an excellent treatment and preventative.

Anybody know the correct concentration?

As far as the salt concentration, if you have any aquarium salt it should state on the package what dose to use for regular maintenance and that should probably run the same for treatment.

I always found a UV sterilizer to be a nice way to treat/prevent Ich, but that's a bit extreme for a 10 gallon. You can also jack the temp up a bit (as high as 80F, I think) to speed up the life cycle of the inverts and do a lot of water changes, being sure to vacuum the gravel to get all life stages of this parasite.

Also, here's a http://www.wetwebmedia.com/index.html" for advice on practically any aquarium-related stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:
This will treat the fish but it won't treat the tank. They'll just get re-infected.

The tobacco is the tank treatment, nicotine being being toxic to most arthropods.

Two of em didn't make it.

Put a few drops of Quick Cure in my tank. Man, are they unhappy. Wiggling around - the itching must be driving them crazy. (Though, strange: they're not scraping themselves like they usually do - more like wiggling.)

I'm worried about something though - they are gasping at the surface. I wonder if that's an indication that their gills are badly infected with parasites. I had intended to leave the pump off so they don't have to fight the current in their weakened state, but with this gasping symptom, I fear the low oygen saturation in stagnant water might be worse for them.

and don't forget frequent water changes

I'm sure you have already TURNED THE PUMP BACK ON. You should add antibiotics ASAP.
Salt as a cure, is really tricky and many fresh water fish get stressed from it.
Sorry to hear you've lost a few:frown:

hypatia said:
You should add antibiotics ASAP.

Not to be picky but by definition antibiotics do not affect protozoan. It only has an affect bacteria. I am microbiologist and the misuse of the term antibiotics tend to bug me :wink:

These are the chemicals that are effective against ICH: Malachite green, methylene blue, quinine hydrochloride, and Mepacrine Hydrochloride. I have two of these in the lab and quinine hydrocloride is the bittering agent in tonic water.

No the antibiotic are for any secondary infection from the open wounds, which happen very often with fish. As noted in my above post.

Related to Fish Hobbyists: Curing Ich in 10 gal Tank

1. What is Ich and how does it affect fish?

Ich, also known as "white spot disease," is a parasitic infection that commonly affects freshwater and saltwater fish. It appears as small white spots on the fish's skin, gills, and fins and can cause irritation, loss of appetite, and even death if left untreated.

2. Can Ich be cured in a 10 gallon tank?

Yes, Ich can be cured in a 10 gallon tank. However, it is important to note that treating the tank alone is not enough. The infected fish must also be treated separately in a quarantine tank to fully eradicate the parasites.

3. What is the best way to treat Ich in a 10 gallon tank?

The most effective way to treat Ich in a 10 gallon tank is by using a medication specifically designed to kill parasites. Follow the instructions on the medication carefully and be sure to remove any activated carbon from the filter during treatment.

4. How long does it take to cure Ich in a 10 gallon tank?

The duration of treatment for Ich in a 10 gallon tank can vary depending on the severity of the infection and the effectiveness of the chosen medication. In most cases, treatment can take anywhere from 7-10 days.

5. How can I prevent Ich from infecting my fish in the future?

The best way to prevent Ich from infecting your fish is to maintain a clean and healthy tank environment. Regular water changes, proper filtration, and a balanced diet for your fish can help strengthen their immune systems and make them less susceptible to parasites. It is also important to quarantine any new fish before introducing them to your main tank to prevent the spread of diseases.