Firt time postjust a quick question about magnetic gearing

In summary, using a magnetic gearing system may work, but will require varying the distances between the gears to find the "sweet spot."
000kev000
just a quick question .

I'm thinking about building myself a vertical axis wind turbine and using the turbine to power a few lights around the house .
my question is about using a magnetic gearing system . and will it work (produce more power than just using the base of the turbine with attached magnets above a stationary stator )

i've drawn a quick example of what I'm thinking about (it's rough but should show what i mean)
Untitled.jpg

this was just a quick example using paint . the real thing will be using 32 neodymium magnets around the center wheel/gear and this will be the base of the tubine itself approx 1000mm/1m diameter

the outer wheel or wheels if possible will be exacty half the center . so 500mm/.5m diameter using 16 neodymium magnets . all four gears / wheels will be mounted using a mag lev bearing system reducing friction as much possible .

the aim is to have the three outer wheels spinning over stators

would the extra force required to turn the turbine be too much to make this model functual or would it work

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you get the distances right it will work but it won't transfer much torque over to the other wheels unless your using BIG magnets. If that's the case you can vary the spacing to match what you need up to a point. Getting them too close will cause your turbine to clog instead of turning smoothly.
There is a 'sweet' spot between the maximum torque and the least clogging so you will need to be able to adjust the distances between the wheels. I've built a number of different versions of what you are attempting here over the years.

To give you some useful advice though is to use one homemade axial wind turbine alternator being driven from the shaft wound to operate at the speed you expect the turbine to turn most of the time. It's much more efficient but if your setting it up this way to test different alternator design ideas have fun!

thanks for the reply .
this is more like what I'm thinking of doing
maggear_zpse1aedd51.jpg

i think i might build a small model first just to do some testing with the gear distances .

That's about what I was visualizing from your description. I suggest using one of the driven plates at first while experimenting unless you get a whole lot of wind where you are.
(just to save money - super magnets have become pretty expensive over the last couple of years A set I got a few years ago for a turbine alternator now cost almost 3 times as much and I spent $150 on them back then.)

The reason for that is over the years I've found about 90% of people tend to over estimate the amount of wind they really have where they are unless they actually measure it using wind meters over time.

To give you an example, I'm in a class 1 wind area (Wilmington NC) and we normally only get useful breezes at dawn and dusk times around here unless there is a storm or hurricane on it's way. I live inside the city limits and I can't put up a 60-100' tower to get to where the wind is actually blowing fast enough to really be really useful. The best I've been able to do so far is charging small lead acid batteries like the 2 small 12amp hour 12v versions I use on my wife's assisted bike and it normally takes 3-4 days to even do that. We just don't get enough wind here at rooftop levels or lower. Good luck with the project!

Last edited:
?

Hello,

Thank you for your question about magnetic gearing and its potential use in a vertical axis wind turbine. Magnetic gearing is a relatively new technology that has shown promise in increasing efficiency and reducing wear and tear in various applications.

In theory, using magnetic gearing in a wind turbine could potentially increase its power output compared to using a stationary stator. However, the success of this design would depend on several factors, such as the strength and placement of the magnets, the design of the gears and bearings, and the overall energy efficiency of the system.

I would suggest conducting further research and possibly consulting with experts in the field of wind energy to determine the feasibility and potential benefits of using magnetic gearing in your specific turbine design. It may also be helpful to test and analyze a prototype of your design before implementing it on a larger scale.

I hope this information helps and wish you success in your wind turbine project. I encourage experimentation and innovation, but also caution the importance of thorough research and testing in order to achieve the desired results. Best of luck!

Related to Firt time postjust a quick question about magnetic gearing

1. What is magnetic gearing?

Magnetic gearing is a type of power transmission system that uses magnetic forces to transfer torque from a driving rotor to a driven rotor without any physical contact. It works by using permanent magnets or electromagnets to create a magnetic field and rotate the driven rotor, eliminating the need for traditional mechanical gears.

2. How does magnetic gearing differ from traditional mechanical gearing?

Magnetic gearing offers several advantages over traditional mechanical gearing. It is more efficient, quieter, and has a longer lifespan since there is no physical contact between the parts. It also eliminates the need for lubrication and reduces maintenance costs.

3. What are the applications of magnetic gearing?

Magnetic gearing has a wide range of applications in various industries such as renewable energy, transportation, robotics, and aerospace. It is commonly used in wind turbines, electric vehicles, and industrial machinery.

4. What are the limitations of magnetic gearing?

One limitation of magnetic gearing is its high cost compared to traditional mechanical gearing. It also has a lower torque density, meaning it can transmit less torque for a given size compared to traditional gears. Additionally, magnetic gearing may require specialized materials and manufacturing techniques, making it less accessible for some applications.

5. How do I design a magnetic gear system?

Designing a magnetic gear system requires a thorough understanding of magnetic principles and the specific application requirements. It involves selecting the appropriate magnet type and size, designing the magnetic circuits and flux paths, and optimizing the gear ratio. Computer-aided design (CAD) software and simulation tools can also aid in the design process.