Fintie point sets in a Hausdorff space are closed.

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the closure of one-point sets, with one person proving it by showing the set equals its own closure and another person proving it by showing that the complement is open. The questioner confirms that both approaches are valid.
jmjlt88
This may seem like a silly question, but I'll ask it anyways. :)

In the Munkres text, he proves this by showing that one-point sets are closed, which I completely understand why it follows that finite point sets are closed. He does so by showing that the arbitrary one-point set {x0} equals its own closure, and therefore closed (which, again I completely understand). Now, before I read a proof, I like to see try it myself. When I did it, I also proved that one-point sets are closed, but I did so by showing X-{x0} is open. I did this by noting that for each x in X-{x0}, there is disjoint neighborhoods Ux and V containing x and x0 respectively. I then showed that X-{X0} is the union of all Ux, and it therefore open.

My question is, does this approach work as well? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your approach works.

Related to Fintie point sets in a Hausdorff space are closed.

1. What is a Hausdorff space?

A Hausdorff space is a type of mathematical space in which any two distinct points can be separated by disjoint open sets. This means that for any two points in the space, there exists an open set that contains one point but not the other.

2. What does it mean for a set to be closed?

A closed set is one that contains all of its boundary points. In other words, any limit point of the set is also a member of the set itself. In a Hausdorff space, a set is closed if and only if it contains all of its limit points.

3. Why is it important for a point set in a Hausdorff space to be closed?

In a Hausdorff space, closed sets play a crucial role in defining the topology or "closeness" of the space. They help to determine which points are considered near or far from each other, and can also be used to construct continuous functions between spaces.

4. How do you prove that a point set in a Hausdorff space is closed?

To prove that a point set in a Hausdorff space is closed, you can use the definition of a closed set and show that it contains all of its limit points. This can be done by considering a limit point and showing that it is contained in the set, or by showing that the complement of the set is open.

5. Are all point sets in a Hausdorff space closed?

No, not all point sets in a Hausdorff space are closed. While all closed sets contain all of their limit points, there may be point sets that do not contain all of their limit points and therefore are not closed. It is important to carefully consider the definition of a closed set when determining if a point set is closed in a Hausdorff space.