Finned surface question - heat transfer

In summary, we have a finned wall made of aluminium alloy with a constant temperature inside and exposed to convection on the outside. The efficiency of the fins is 98% and we want to find the length of the fins using the given formula. To find the heat transfer rate from the entire wall, we can use the equation q = [N * eff * hfin * Af * (Tbase - Tamb)] + [hbase * Ab * (Tbase - Tamb)], where N is the number of fins, eff is the fin efficiency, hfin is the convection heat transfer coefficient for the fins, Af is the surface area of an individual fin, Tbase is the base temperature, Tamb is the surrounding temperature, h
Yr11Kid
Hey everyone, I've got a finned surface question

I've got a finned wall is constructed of aluminium alloy with k = 150 W/mK. The wall thickness is 2.0 mm and the fins, with a thickness of 2.0 mm, are straight with rectangular profile. The inside of the wall is maintained at a constant temperature of 80°C and the finned section of the wall are exposed to a convection environment at 20°C with the convective heat transfer coefficient being at 8 W/m2K. The assembly will be cast from the aluminium material. You can assume that the finned wall is a 5 cm  5 cm square section. The fin pitch is 6 mm.

Given the efficiency to be 98% how would i determine the length of the fin, first of all I've got the formula for fin efficiency which in its simplest form is

nf = tanh (mL)/mL m = sqrt(2h/kt)

I have no idea how to solve the mathematics of this to find the length, its possible I'm completely off track :(

Also if i wanted to find the heat transfer rate from the ENTIRE wall how would i go about that??

Engineering news on Phys.org
Keep in mind fins add to the heat transfer area but have an efficiency. The total heat transfer rate is:

q = [N * eff * hfin * Af * (Tbase - Tamb)] + [hbase * Ab * (Tbase - Tamb)]

where,

q = heat transfer rate
N = number of fins
eff = fin efficiency
hfin = convection heat transfer coefficient for fin
Af = surface area of individual fin
Tbase = base temperature
Tamb = surrounding temperature
hfin = convection heat transfer coefficient for base (often assumed hfin = hbase)
Ab = surface area of base

Notice each group of terms is the heat transfer for the fin and base.

Likes mayankrajp

Related to Finned surface question - heat transfer

1. How do fins improve heat transfer?

Fins increase the surface area of an object, allowing for more contact with the surrounding fluid or air. This increased surface area allows for more efficient transfer of heat from the object to the fluid or air.

2. What are the types of fins used for heat transfer?

The most commonly used fins are rectangular, trapezoidal, and triangular. Other types include annular, helical, and pin fins.

3. How does the shape of a fin affect heat transfer?

The shape of a fin can affect heat transfer by altering its surface area and surface-to-volume ratio. Fins with larger surface areas and lower surface-to-volume ratios are more effective at transferring heat.

4. What is the relationship between fin thickness and heat transfer?

Thicker fins have a greater surface area and can transfer more heat, but they also have a higher resistance to heat flow. The optimum fin thickness for heat transfer depends on the specific application and must be carefully chosen.

5. How do factors such as material and fluid properties affect finned surface heat transfer?

The material properties of the fin, such as thermal conductivity and surface roughness, can affect heat transfer. The fluid properties, such as viscosity and flow rate, also play a role in the heat transfer process. These factors must be taken into consideration when designing a finned surface for optimal heat transfer.