Finite square well potential question Constants

In summary, to find B in terms of F in a finite square well potential, we use the continuity condition of the wavefunction at the boundaries and substitute the expressions for A, C, and D from the given equations. We then solve for B and get the final expression as (F/2) * e^(i*K*a) * [2i*(K/k2)*sin(k2*a) + (K^2 - 1)*cos(k2*a)].
StephenD420
I need to find B in terms of F in a finite square well potential

I started with
-Ae^(-i*K*a) - Be^(i*K*a) = Csin(k2*a) - Dcos(k2*a)
and
Ae^(-i*K*a) - Be^(i*K*a) = i*K*k2 [C*cos(k2*a) - D*sin(k2*a)]

where
C = [sin(k2*a) + i*(K/k2)cos(k2*a)]*Fe^(i*K*a)
D = [cos(k2*a)- i*(K/k2)sin(k2*a)]*Fe^(i*K*a)

I added the first two and got
-2*B*e^(i*K*a) = {[i(k2*K +(K/k2)sin(k2*a) - (K^2 +1)cos(k2*a)]*Fe^(i*K*a)}*cos(k2*a) +
{[i(k2*K +(K/k2)cos(k2*a) + (K^2 +1)sin(k2*a)]*Fe^(i*K*a)}*sin(k2*a)

I do not know how to go from here.

Would B be equal to

(F/4)*e^(i*K*a)*{-4cos(k2*a) + 2i*[(k2/K)+(K/k2)]*sin(k2*a)}

what am I missing??

Thanks so much for your help.
Stephen

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Stephen,

To find B in terms of F, we can use the fact that the wavefunction must be continuous at the boundaries of the finite square well potential. This means that the wavefunction on the left side of the well (x < -a) must be equal to the wavefunction on the right side (x > a). This condition can be expressed mathematically as:

-Ae^(-i*K*a) - Be^(i*K*a) = Ae^(i*k2*a) + Be^(-i*k2*a)

Solving for B, we get:

B = (Ae^(i*k2*a) - Ae^(-i*K*a)) / (e^(i*K*a) + e^(-i*K*a))

Now, we can substitute the expression for A from your equations:

A = Csin(k2*a) - Dcos(k2*a)

And then substitute the expressions for C and D:

C = [sin(k2*a) + i*(K/k2)cos(k2*a)]*Fe^(i*K*a)
D = [cos(k2*a)- i*(K/k2)sin(k2*a)]*Fe^(i*K*a)

After some algebraic manipulation, we get:

B = (F/2) * e^(i*K*a) * [2i*(K/k2)*sin(k2*a) + (K^2 - 1)*cos(k2*a)]

Therefore, we have expressed B in terms of F, and we can see that B is a complex number. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Finite square well potential question Constants

1. What is a finite square well potential?

A finite square well potential is a type of potential energy function used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle in a confined region. It consists of a square-shaped potential barrier that is finite in width and height, with a constant potential within the well and a higher potential outside of the well.

2. What are the constants involved in a finite square well potential?

The constants involved in a finite square well potential are the depth of the well (V0), the width of the well (a), and the mass of the particle (m). These constants are used to calculate the energy levels and wave functions of the particle within the potential well.

3. How do the constants affect the behavior of a particle in a finite square well potential?

The depth of the well (V0) determines the strength of the potential barrier and can affect the probability of the particle tunneling through it. The width of the well (a) determines the size of the potential well and can affect the spacing of the energy levels. The mass of the particle (m) affects the shape of the wave function and the energy levels of the particle.

4. What are the allowed energy levels in a finite square well potential?

The allowed energy levels in a finite square well potential are discrete and depend on the values of the constants involved. The lowest energy level is called the ground state, and the higher energy levels are called excited states. The number of allowed energy levels depends on the depth and width of the potential well.

5. How can the finite square well potential be applied in real-world situations?

The finite square well potential is a simplified model used to understand the behavior of particles in confined regions. It can be applied to various real-world scenarios, such as the behavior of electrons in a semiconductor device or the behavior of nucleons in a nucleus. It is also used in theoretical studies of quantum mechanics and can provide insights into quantum phenomena.