Finite element procedures book - Bathe

In summary, the problem is that the student is trying to integrate over intervals and is not getting the answer.
c0der
Hi,

I have been stuck on a problem for a while now (3.24 part c).

My attempt is as follows:

Internal virtual work = external virtual work

T/2 ∫0->L (∂u/dx)(∂v/dx)dx + ∫0->L (∂^2u/∂t^2)vdx = ∫0->L (Pv)dx

Stationarity is already invoked on this functional as it's the principle of virtual work dv/dx = δv

Using the basis functions:

u = { 3w1L/x for 0<x<L/3,
(2 - 3/L*x)w1 + (-1 +3/L*x)w2 for L/3<x<2L/3,
3w2(1 - x/L) for 2L/3<x<L }

Extracting the functions for v from the basis functions:

v = { 3L/x for 0<x<L/3,
(2 - 3/L*x) + (-1 +3/L*x) for L/3<x<2L/3,
3(1 - x/L) for 2L/3<x<L }

Integrating over each interval does not get me the answer

Help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
c0der said:
Hi,

I have been stuck on a problem for a while now (3.24 part c).

My attempt is as follows:

Internal virtual work = external virtual work

T/2 ∫0->L (∂u/dx)(∂v/dx)dx + ∫0->L (∂^2u/∂t^2)vdx = ∫0->L (Pv)dx

Stationarity is already invoked on this functional as it's the principle of virtual work dv/dx = δv

Using the basis functions:

u = { 3w1L/x for 0<x<L/3,
(2 - 3/L*x)w1 + (-1 +3/L*x)w2 for L/3<x<2L/3,
3w2(1 - x/L) for 2L/3<x<L }

Extracting the functions for v from the basis functions:

v = { 3L/x for 0<x<L/3,
(2 - 3/L*x) + (-1 +3/L*x) for L/3<x<2L/3,
3(1 - x/L) for 2L/3<x<L }

Integrating over each interval does not get me the answer

Help please?

Welcome to the PF.

What is the context for this question? Is it for schoolwork? If so, which subject? Perhaps I should move this to a different forum? Or is General Engineering the best fit?

It's self learning, postgraduate level finite element analysis. It's general engineering because you can apply it to a range of engineering problems, heat transfer, solids, fluids etc.

Thanks for your reply.

Related to Finite element procedures book - Bathe

1. What is Finite Element Analysis (FEA)?

Finite Element Analysis (FEA) is a numerical method used to solve complex engineering problems by dividing a physical structure or system into smaller, finite elements. It uses mathematical models and computer simulations to predict the behavior of a system under various conditions.

2. What is the purpose of "Finite Element Procedures" book by Bathe?

The "Finite Element Procedures" book by Bathe serves as a comprehensive guide to understanding the theory and application of FEA. It covers topics such as element formulations, numerical integration, solution methods, and error analysis, making it a valuable resource for students and professionals in the field of engineering.

3. Why is Bathe's book considered a classic in the field of FEA?

Bathe's book is considered a classic in the field of FEA because it provides a thorough and well-organized treatment of the subject matter. It presents the fundamental concepts of FEA in a clear and concise manner, making it accessible to both beginners and experts in the field.

4. What are some practical applications of FEA?

FEA is widely used in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, civil engineering, and biomechanics. It is used to analyze and optimize designs, predict the behavior of structures under different loading conditions, and simulate real-world scenarios to improve product performance and reduce costs.

5. Is prior knowledge of numerical methods required to understand Bathe's book?

No, Bathe's book can be understood without prior knowledge of numerical methods. It provides a detailed explanation of the mathematical principles and equations used in FEA, making it accessible to readers from different backgrounds. However, a basic understanding of calculus and mechanics is recommended for a better understanding of the concepts presented in the book.