Finite Difference Frequency Domain

In summary, the speaker is seeking assistance with transforming sparse matrices into dense form in order to solve a problem efficiently. They have developed the problem in FORTRAN and are looking for a library or routine similar to MATLAB's sparse() function to achieve this transformation. They also mention the possibility of using techniques for dealing with tri-diagonal or almost tri-diagonal matrices. No specific solutions are offered.
la4361
Hello everybody!
I am trying to construct the FDFD method for 3D structures. I have already constructed the general formulation and specifically I have set the complete matrix form. Due to the fact that the matrices are too sparse, and my system is out of memory, I am trying to set the problem in a dense mode.
To be more specific I want to transform the sparse matrices into dense form and to solve the problem efficiently. I have developed the problem in fortran, so I would like to ask you if anybody knows any library, which I can use in order to achieve this transformation. I know for example that in MATLAB using the sparse() routine I can achieve this goal. Is there any similar routine in fortran?

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know about the FORTRAN end of things, but depending on what your sparse matrix looks like, I know there are techniques for dealing with them. The first, and only real one that comes to mind, is in the case of a tri-diagonal or an almost tri-diagonal matrix.

Hello there! It's great to hear that you are working on constructing the FDFD method for 3D structures. This is a widely used and powerful technique in computational electromagnetics. Regarding your question about transforming sparse matrices into dense form, there are a few options you can explore in Fortran. One option is to use the LAPACK library, which contains routines for dense matrix operations. Another option is to use the Intel Math Kernel Library (MKL), which also has efficient routines for dense matrix operations. Both of these libraries have Fortran interfaces and can be easily integrated into your code. I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

Related to Finite Difference Frequency Domain

What is Finite Difference Frequency Domain?

Finite Difference Frequency Domain (FDFD) is a numerical method used to solve partial differential equations in electromagnetics. It discretizes the equations using finite difference approximations and computes the electric and magnetic fields at each point in space and time.

How is FDFD different from other methods?

FDFD is different from other methods, such as Finite Element Method (FEM) and Finite Difference Time Domain (FDTD), in that it solves for the fields in the frequency domain rather than the time domain. This allows for more efficient and accurate modeling of electromagnetic phenomena, especially for problems with steady-state solutions.

What are the advantages of using FDFD?

FDFD has several advantages, including its ability to handle complex geometries and materials, its high accuracy, and its ability to model steady-state solutions. It also has lower computational costs compared to other methods, making it a popular choice for simulating electromagnetic problems in various applications.

What are the limitations of using FDFD?

One limitation of FDFD is that it requires a regular grid in space, which can be challenging for problems with irregular geometries. It also requires a high number of grid points to achieve accurate results, which can be computationally expensive. Additionally, FDFD may not be suitable for problems with rapidly changing electromagnetic fields or for problems with highly nonlinear materials.

What are some applications of FDFD?

FDFD has a wide range of applications, including antenna design, microwave and optical devices, electromagnetic wave propagation, and electromagnetic compatibility. It is also commonly used in the design and analysis of photonic crystals, metamaterials, and plasmonic structures. Overall, FDFD is a powerful tool for studying and understanding electromagnetic phenomena in various systems.