Finding ZL for a series-parallel RL circuit

In summary, if you are trying to find the current through a resistor and inductor combination, you need to take into account the voltage at the node on the other side.
flirt
Im starting to give up on this one, every time i try to figure it out i get an answer that is miles off.

Im looking to find ZL, can someone show me how this is done? I think my problem is with the dependent voltage.

http://img31.imageshack.us/i/unledak.png/

Physics news on Phys.org
What working have you got so far and what is the answer you are trying to reach?

Perhaps you have solved it already?

If you do KVL to determine Iphi you then know the value of the dependent source and can then use a voltage divider to find the voltage across the j3R inductor (giving you the parallel voltage across Z) and thus the current through the 1R resistor (Ohms Law), and then KCL that node to find the current through Z and then Ohms Law with the parallel voltage to get a value for Z.

I have a similar problem, can you do

Iphi = (100<0')/(25+j10)
= 3.7139<-21.8014'AThen the dependant source voltage is 5x that value..

Then you use Voltage divider to see how much goes into the j3?

Does the 100<0' power supply directly affect ZL? Its a tough question :(

can anyone confirm / deny my method? what do you do after?

I'm having trouble visualizing how the independent voltage source interacts with the right side of the circuit because of that annoying dependent voltage source,
because usually you can short circuit each Voltage source and see it's effect but short circuiting the dependent source means there is no relationship between the left side and the right?
Im guessing I(first branch) + I(second branch) gives the total current in the third area?
any ideas?

Last edited:
I have a similar problem, can you do

Iphi = (100<0')/(25+j10)
= 3.7139<-21.8014'A

Not quite. By Ohms Law you are trying to get the current through the resistor and inductor combination, but you need to take into account the voltage at the node on the other side, which is conveniently 5*Iphi, giving you still only one variable.

Then you use Voltage divider to see how much goes into the j3?

Yep.

Does the 100<0' power supply directly affect ZL? Its a tough question :(

Its an ambiguous question when you say directly. The power from the dependent and the independent power supplies both affect ZL with the current they provide. Unless you can show that a power source is supplying or absorbing 0 power, it will be affecting the circuit. What do you mean by directly though?

I'm having trouble visualizing how the independent voltage source interacts with the right side of the circuit because of that annoying dependent voltage source

Consider them both as sources of power. If you had 2 batteries in there instead of 1 battery and a Op-Amp dependent voltage source circuit you would still get power out of both.

Im guessing I(first branch) + I(second branch) gives the total current in the third area

Don't guess :smile:. Do KVL and KCL and play around with it.

Also, if you would like to talk about a circuit, its generally good to start your own thread, put up a picture of your circuit and say what you have figured out so far. There's bucket loads of people who will help you if they can!

Thanks dude! much appreciated!

Related to Finding ZL for a series-parallel RL circuit

1. How do I find the total impedance (ZL) for a series-parallel RL circuit?

To find the total impedance for a series-parallel RL circuit, you will need to use the impedance formula ZL = √(R^2 + (XL - XC)^2), where R is the resistance, XL is the inductive reactance, and XC is the capacitive reactance. You will need to calculate the individual impedances for each component and then combine them using this formula.

2. What is the difference between a series-parallel RL circuit and a parallel-parallel RL circuit?

A series-parallel RL circuit has a combination of series and parallel connections of resistors and inductors, whereas a parallel-parallel RL circuit only has parallel connections. In a parallel-parallel circuit, the total impedance is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual impedance, whereas in a series-parallel circuit, the total impedance is calculated using the aforementioned formula.

3. How do I calculate the inductive reactance (XL) for a series-parallel RL circuit?

To calculate the inductive reactance for a series-parallel RL circuit, you will need to use the formula XL = 2πfL, where f is the frequency in hertz and L is the inductance in henrys. This will give you the individual inductive reactance for each inductor, which can then be used to find the total impedance.

4. Can I use the same formula to find the total impedance for any series-parallel circuit?

No, the formula ZL = √(R^2 + (XL - XC)^2) is specifically for a series-parallel RL circuit. Other types of circuits, such as RC or RLC circuits, will have different formulas for finding the total impedance. It is important to know the specific components and connections in a circuit in order to determine the correct formula to use.

5. What is the purpose of finding the total impedance in a series-parallel RL circuit?

The total impedance in a series-parallel RL circuit is important because it tells us the overall opposition to current flow in the circuit. This is important for determining the voltage and current in the circuit, as well as selecting the appropriate components to use. It also allows us to calculate the power and efficiency of the circuit.