Finding when acceleration is zero

In summary, the given problem involves a block of mass 2.42kg being accelerated across a rough surface by a rope passing over a pulley. The tension in the rope is 13.9N and the pulley is 12.3cm above the top of the block. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.395. The goal is to calculate the value of x at which the acceleration becomes zero. To do this, it is necessary to find when the net force is zero, which can be achieved by setting the forces in the x and y direction to be equal to zero. Without a figure, it is difficult to provide further assistance.
alexi_b

Homework Statement

A block of mass 2.42kg is accelerated across a rough surface by a rope passing over a pulley, as shown in the figure below. The tension in the rope is 13.9N, and the pulley is 12.3cm above the top of the block. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.395.

A: 2.28 m/s^2

Calculate the value of x at which the acceleration becomes zero. <-- this is what I'm stuck on

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know when acceleration is equal to zero, it means that the forces in the x and y direction are equal to zero, but that is as far as i know of how I can complete this. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
alexi_b said:

Homework Statement

A block of mass 2.42kg is accelerated across a rough surface by a rope passing over a pulley, as shown in the figure below. The tension in the rope is 13.9N, and the pulley is 12.3cm above the top of the block. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.395.

A: 2.28 m/s^2

Calculate the value of x at which the acceleration becomes zero. <-- this is what I'm stuck on

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know when acceleration is equal to zero, it means that the forces in the x and y direction are equal to zero, but that is as far as i know of how I can complete this. Any suggestions?
I don't know what x stands for, but you have to find when the net force is zero, as you said. Without a figure, it is hard to help

Related to Finding when acceleration is zero

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What does it mean when acceleration is zero?

When acceleration is zero, it means that there is no change in an object's velocity over time. This could mean that the object is either at rest or moving at a constant speed.

4. How do you find when acceleration is zero on a graph?

To find when acceleration is zero on a graph, you need to look for a horizontal line on the velocity vs. time graph. This horizontal line indicates that there is no change in velocity over time, meaning that acceleration is zero.

5. What are some real-life examples of when acceleration is zero?

Some real-life examples of when acceleration is zero include a car traveling at a constant speed on a straight road, a person running at a constant speed, or an airplane flying at a constant altitude and speed. In these situations, there is no change in velocity over time, so acceleration is zero.