Finding Vx, Is, and Power in a Dependent Source

In summary, you should round intermediate values to the nearest significant figure, and use the stored full-accuracy values for calculations.
sevag00

Homework Statement

Find Vx, Is and power on the dependent source.
Capture_1.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

http://s17.postimg.org/3x4hszzkf/002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your determination of vx is fine. However, Is is not the only current flowing through the 4 Ω resistor; there's some current coming from the 29 A source, flowing through the 4 Ω + Is combination, then to the components on the right.

You should be in a position to know how much current is entering and leaving that middle bit.

I did KCL on node a and got 30 A. Also calculated the current through the 4 Ω resistor -1.5 A.
Then KCL on node b, Is = 31.5 A

Draw the directions of the currents through the resistors. Then do KCL again :wink:

Oh ok. 28 not 30. Then Is = 26.5.

Last edited:
sevag00 said:
Which resistors?

All of them. You have the voltages across them all.

Last edited:
sevag00 said:
Oh ok. 28 not 30. Then Is = 26.5.

No, not 26.5 A. I think you've got a current direction wrong. Sketch them on your diagram and pay attention to polarities -- remember, Vx is negative...

Here's the new sketch. If I'm not wrong then 29.5 A.

sevag00 said:
Here's the new sketch. If I'm not wrong then 29.5 A.

You're not wrong :smile:

:smile:

Another day, Another KVL-KCL problem.

Find V0 using KVL-KCL and Ohm's law.

Capture.jpg

Here's my solution
http://s21.postimg.org/usa92r31z/001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You really should place new questions in new threads, if for no other reason than more people are likely to see it.

For this problem it looks like you've got the right ideas, but you're losing way too much accuracy by not keeping enough decimal places in your intermediate results. Keep intermediate values in fraction form or keep several more decimal places ("guard digits").

For example, knowing that I1 is 4 mA and it's flowing through a 4 kΩ resistor you can tell that the potential drop across that resistor should be 16 V exactly. That means the sum of the 42V supply and the drop across the 6 kΩ resistor must add to 16V, so that the drop is 26 V across that resistor. But in your determination of i2 you rounded the result to 4.3 mA, and then when you calculated the potential drop across that resistor you arrived at 25.8 V.

The situation gets worse when you round small values, as the resulting percentage change is more drastic. You determined the current through the 18 kΩ resistor to be 1.63 mA, but it should have ended up as 1.889 mA. So the early roundings of values has landed you with a 14% error so far...

Is it enough if i write three decimal digits?

sevag00 said:
Is it enough if i write three decimal digits?

Three is better, yes. If your calculator has enough memory locations, write three digits but use the stored full-accuracy values for calculations. As always, round final results to the appropriate number of significant figures.

Related to Finding Vx, Is, and Power in a Dependent Source

What is a dependent source?

A dependent source is an electrical component that is controlled by another voltage or current within the circuit. This means that its output is not determined by its own internal characteristics, but rather by the input from another source.

How do I find the value of Vx in a circuit with a dependent source?

To find the value of Vx, you will first need to determine the relationship between Vx and the controlling voltage or current. Once this relationship is known, you can use the given values of the controlling source to calculate the value of Vx using Ohm's Law or other circuit analysis methods.

How do I calculate the value of Is in a circuit with a dependent source?

The value of Is in a circuit with a dependent source can be calculated by using Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) at the node where the dependent source is connected. This will create an equation with unknown variables, including Is. Solving this equation will give you the value of Is.

What is the power of a dependent source and how is it calculated?

The power of a dependent source is the amount of energy it is supplying or absorbing in a circuit. It is calculated by multiplying the voltage or current of the dependent source by the controlling voltage or current, depending on the type of dependent source. The resulting value will have units of watts (W) or volt-amperes (VA).

Can a dependent source be negative?

Yes, a dependent source can have a negative value. This simply means that the source is supplying energy in the opposite direction of the controlling voltage or current. It is important to pay attention to the signs and directions of dependent sources in a circuit, as they can significantly affect the overall behavior and analysis of the circuit.