Finding Vector Magnitude & Direction in River Flow Problem

• Thread starter bluewolf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, To find the magnitude and direction of the boat's resultant velocity, you can use the top and tail method to draw out the vectors and find the hypotenuse of the resulting triangle. The magnitude of the resultant force is equal to the length of the hypotenuse, and the direction can be easily determined using trigonometry.
bluewolf
This problem I'm not sure where to begin so if someone could just give me a hint...

A boat heads directly across a river with a velocity of 12m/s. If the river flows at 6.0m/s find the magnitude and direction (with respect to the shore) if the boat's resultant velocity.

I'm not sure how to find what way the direction is going without some kind of direction that is already given.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try actually drawing the vectors out 'top and tail' method. In this case the resultant force would be the hypotenues of the triangle formed. Therefore, the magnitude of the resultant force would simply be the magnitude or length of the hypotenues and the direction is easily found using trig.

thanks:) I think that I get this stuff now. I was making it harder than it had to be

Related to Finding Vector Magnitude & Direction in River Flow Problem

1. What is vector magnitude and direction in a river flow problem?

Vector magnitude refers to the size or length of a vector, while direction refers to the angle or orientation of the vector. In a river flow problem, vector magnitude and direction are used to represent the speed and direction of the river's current.

2. How do I find the vector magnitude in a river flow problem?

To find the vector magnitude, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude of a vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. In a river flow problem, this would involve finding the magnitude of the velocity of the river's current.

3. What is the significance of finding the vector direction in a river flow problem?

The vector direction in a river flow problem is important because it tells us the angle at which the river's current is moving. This information is crucial for navigation and understanding the potential impact of the river's flow on surrounding areas.

4. How can vector magnitude and direction be represented graphically in a river flow problem?

In a river flow problem, vector magnitude can be represented by the length of an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector, while the direction can be represented by the angle at which the arrow is pointing. This is known as a vector diagram.

5. Can vector magnitude and direction change in a river flow problem?

Yes, vector magnitude and direction can change in a river flow problem. This can occur due to changes in the speed or direction of the river's current, such as when the river encounters obstacles or changes in topography. It is important to regularly recalculate these values to accurately represent the current conditions of the river flow.