Finding values in a (very) multiloop circuit (with multiple batteries as well)

In summary, the problem involves finding the currents i1 and i2, as well as the energy rate of transfer in battery 1 and battery 2. To simplify the circuit, the resistors on the left can be combined into one resistor and the resistors R4 and R5 can also be combined. This results in a simpler circuit with only two equations and two unknowns, making it easier to solve for the desired values.
Oijl

Homework Statement

In the figure, R1 = R2 = 2.0, R3 = 4.0, R4 = 3.0, R5 = 1.0, R6 = R7 = R8 = 8.0, and the ideal batteries have emfs script e1 = 8.0 V and script e2 = 4.0 V.

GLOROIUSSAHOMEWORK.gif

The question asks to find the currents i1 and i2, and the energy rate of transfer in battery 1 and battery 2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, is the "energy rate of transfer" Pemf = iE?

But mostly, I was wondering if there was a good way to do this problem other than using the loop rule and junction rule so much that you could call the rules Scooby snacks and me Scooby Doo.

It's that if I use those rules to find the currents, I'd have four equations and four unknowns, which isn't really that bad except it looks like they'd be pretty long equations. And if there's a more efficient way, and I don't see it, that's because I don't understand something about circuits like this and I would like to learn.

So thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would use the resistors in parallel and series formulas to find the combined resistance of the 5 resistors on the left side. That way only 2 loops to work with.

Yes, I think 'energy rate of transfer' is the same as asking how much power is being supplied by the two sources, battery 1 and battery 2.

Think about what resistors you could combine to simplify the circuit so as not to lose either of the two currents you are looking to solve for. Picking the most efficient node to ground and combining a few resistors, you can apply the junction rule and only have two equations and two unknowns to deal with. Hope that helps!

I've forgotten the Scoobie Do rules long ago.

Like Delphi is saying. Lump all the reististors on the left of E1 into one resistor and call it RA. Also, lump R4 and R5 together and call it RB. A much simpler circuit, don't you think?

Okay, but the only resistors I see that I can easily combine are 1 and 2. Being in series, I can add their resistances to create an equivalent resistor.

But then I have trouble combining 3, 6, 7, and (1+2). (1+2) and 6 aren't in parallel, are they? Doesn't 2 mess up simply combining (1+2) and 6 like you would any resistors in parallel? How would I combine the others?

EDIT: Got it. Thanks.

Last edited:

Related to Finding values in a (very) multiloop circuit (with multiple batteries as well)

1. How do I determine the current and voltage at different points in a multiloop circuit?

In order to find the current and voltage at different points in a multiloop circuit, you will need to use Kirchhoff's laws. Kirchhoff's current law states that the sum of all currents entering a node must equal the sum of all currents leaving the node. Kirchhoff's voltage law states that the sum of all voltage drops around a closed loop must equal the sum of all voltage sources in the loop. By applying these laws to each loop in the circuit, you can solve for the unknown currents and voltages.

2. How do multiple batteries affect the overall voltage and current in a circuit?

Multiple batteries in a circuit can affect the overall voltage and current in different ways depending on their configuration. If the batteries are connected in series, the total voltage will be equal to the sum of the individual battery voltages. If the batteries are connected in parallel, the total voltage will be equal to the voltage of the individual battery with the highest voltage. The current in a circuit with multiple batteries will depend on the internal resistance of each battery and the overall resistance of the circuit.

3. How can I simplify a complex multiloop circuit to make it easier to solve?

One way to simplify a complex multiloop circuit is to use equivalent resistors. Equivalent resistors are resistors that have the same overall resistance as a combination of multiple resistors. By replacing sections of the circuit with equivalent resistors, you can reduce the number of loops and make it easier to solve. Another method is to use Thevenin's or Norton's theorem to convert the circuit into a simpler form.

4. What is the purpose of using loop analysis in a multiloop circuit?

Loop analysis is a method used to solve for unknown currents and voltages in a multiloop circuit. By applying Kirchhoff's voltage law to each loop in the circuit, you can create a system of equations that can be solved to find the unknown values. Loop analysis is particularly useful in circuits with multiple batteries and complex configurations.

5. How can I check my calculations for a multiloop circuit to ensure they are accurate?

There are a few ways to check your calculations for a multiloop circuit. One method is to use a multimeter to measure the current and voltage at different points in the circuit and compare them to your calculated values. Another way is to redraw the circuit and solve it using a different method, such as nodal analysis or Thevenin's theorem, to see if you get the same results. You can also double-check your calculations by using a circuit simulation software to simulate the circuit and compare the results to your calculations.