Finding Time in Projectile Motion

In summary, a soccer ball is kicked on a level football field and lands 20m away after 1.5 seconds. Neglecting spin and air resistance, the time when it was 2m above the ground can be determined by setting the vertical displacement equal to 2m and using the equation (delta)y=uyt + 0.5ayt2. The resulting quadratic equation is 2=7.35t-4.9t2, which can be solved using the quadratic formula or by completing the square. The resulting time is approximately 1.09 seconds.
fcb

Homework Statement

A soccer ball is resting on a level football field is kicked, landing 20m away after 1.5 seconds. Neglecting the effects of spin and air resistance, Determine: The time when it was 2m above the ground

Homework Equations

Ux=13.333m
Uy=7.35m
t=?
(delta)y=2m
ay=-9.8ms-2

(delta)y=uyt + 0.5ayt2

The Attempt at a Solution

2=7.35t-4.9t2
t=5.35/4.9

EDIT: Upwards is taken to be +ve

~1.09

But that's not the answer in the book

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi
Can you kindly explain how you obtained the horizontal and vertical velocity? Its seems that 20m is the range and the time of flight is 1.5s. Would the horizontal velocity be 3m/s? Please comment.

hi fcb! :wink:

fine down to here :smile:
fcb said:
2=7.35t-4.9t2
t=5.35/4.9

but you've spoiled it by reading it as if it was 2t on the left! :cry:

Would I have to use the quadratic formula to solve it?

(just got up :zzz: …)

Yup! :biggrin:

Ohh early start I would gather. Anyways, is the quadratic formula the only way it can be done?

It's not that i Don't like it, I was just curious to an extent. But when you rearrange it, why is it the one with t^2 the one that's represented as 'a' and the one with 't' alone represented as b in the equation for the quadratic formula. I know it is but why. I know nothing about maths or physics.

because ax2 + bx + c = a(x2 + bx/a + c/a)

= a((x + b/2a)2 - b2/4a2 + 4ac/a2),

so x + b/2a = ±√(b2 - 4ac)/2a :smile:

Thanks so much tiny-tim, You're a absolute legend

Related to Finding Time in Projectile Motion

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is thrown or launched into the air and moves along a curved path due to the forces of gravity and air resistance.

What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

How can the trajectory of a projectile be calculated?

The trajectory of a projectile can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the initial velocity, launch angle, and acceleration due to gravity.

What is the difference between horizontal and vertical components of projectile motion?

The horizontal component of projectile motion refers to the motion along the horizontal axis, while the vertical component refers to the motion along the vertical axis. The horizontal component is affected by the initial velocity and air resistance, while the vertical component is affected by the force of gravity.

How is projectile motion used in real life?

Projectile motion is used in a variety of real life situations, such as throwing a ball, shooting a projectile from a gun, or launching a rocket into space. It is also used in sports like basketball and baseball to calculate the trajectory of a ball and predict its path. In engineering, projectile motion is used to design and test projectiles, such as missiles or projectiles for military use.