Finding theta in a ramp problem, given velocity, distance, accelration,and mu k,

In summary: Yes the mistake was in the moving of the left hand side...Here is the proper way:a2-g2x2+(µ(gx)2+2(a(µ(gx)))= 0Now can I substitute in the variables or do I have to do something else?No, just plug and chug! :biggrin:I'm sorry, but what? :confused:plug the numbers into the formula, and chug away like a steam engine o:)
trollphysics

Homework Statement

Velocity final is 8 m/s
velocity initial is 0m/s
acceleration is -1.6m/s2
distance is 20m
Mk is .2

Homework Equations

My teacher has given me sin(theta)=(square root) of 1-cos^2(theta)
and cos(theta) = x

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a bit stuck, the part which I am up to is g^2 - g^2(x^2) = a^2 + 2(a(Mk(gx))) + (Mk(gx))^2

What are the steps after these to get the answer. I have checked with my teacher and he says that what I have so far is correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi trollphysics! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a mu: µ and try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)
trollphysics said:
… the part which I am up to is g^2 - g^2(x^2) = a^2 + 2(a(Mk(gx))) + (Mk(gx))^2

What are the steps after these to get the answer.

that's a quadratic equation in x, so just write it out clearly, and solve! :smile:

tiny-tim said:

(have a theta: θ and a mu: µ and try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)

that's a quadratic equation in x, so just write it out clearly, and solve! :smile:

Hi tiny-tim,
my teacher had told me that this was a quadratic equation. But I don't really know how to set that up. All I have now are these variables. Any help would be appreciated and thanks for letting me know of the signs which the forum integrates.

hi trollphysics! :wink:
trollphysics said:
my teacher had told me that this was a quadratic equation. But I don't really know how to set that up.

just write the equation out with all the x2 terms together, then all the x terms together, then all the constants together, so that it's in the form ax2 + bx + c …

what do you get? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hi trollphysics! :wink:just write the equation out with all the x2 terms together, then all the x terms together, then all the constants together, so that it's in the form ax2 + bx + c …

what do you get? :smile:

Would it come out to be:

a2+g2-g2x2+(µ(gx))2 + 2(a(µ(gx))) = ?

Is this correct? or am I just doing it wrong?

(what happened to that µ i gave you? :confused:)
trollphysics said:
a2+g2-g2x2+(µ(gx))2 + 2(a(µ(gx))) = ?

yes :smile: (except i think you got a sign wrong)

now tidy it up into the form ax2 + bx + c = 0, and use the standard quadratic equation solution to solve it

tiny-tim said:

(what happened to that µ i gave you? :confused:)yes :smile: (except i think you got a sign wrong)

now tidy it up into the form ax2 + bx + c = 0, and use the standard quadratic equation solution to solve it

Yes the mistake was in the moving of the left hand side...

Here is the proper way:
a2-g2x2+(µ(gx)2+2(a(µ(gx)))= 0

Now can I substitute in the variables or do I have to do something else?

no, just plug and chug! :biggrin:

tiny-tim said:
no, just plug and chug! :biggrin:

I'm sorry, but what? :confused:

plug the numbers into the formula, and chug away like a steam engine o:)

Related to Finding theta in a ramp problem, given velocity, distance, accelration,and mu k,

1. How do I find the angle theta in a ramp problem?

To find the angle theta in a ramp problem, you can use the equation tan(theta) = (acceleration due to gravity + mu k * acceleration) / velocity. Rearrange this equation to solve for theta.

2. Can I use the given values of velocity, distance, acceleration, and mu k to find theta?

Yes, all of these values are necessary to find theta in a ramp problem. Make sure to double check that all units are consistent before plugging them into the equation.

3. What is the significance of mu k in finding theta in a ramp problem?

Mu k, also known as the coefficient of kinetic friction, represents the roughness or slipperiness of the ramp's surface. It affects the amount of friction between the ramp and the object moving on it, which in turn affects the angle theta.

4. Is there a specific unit for theta in a ramp problem?

The angle theta is typically measured in degrees or radians.

5. Can I use this equation to find theta for any ramp problem?

Yes, this equation can be used to find theta for any ramp problem as long as all the necessary variables are known and the ramp is assumed to be a straight incline (no curves or bends).