Finding Theory of Semiconductor Lasers at Undergrad Level

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for recommendations on a good source for the theory of lasers, specifically semiconductor lasers, at a second year undergraduate level. Several suggestions are given, including websites and books such as "Laser FAQ," "Lasers and Electro-Optics" by Davis, "Laser Engineering" by Kuhn, "Principles of Lasers" by Orazio Svelto, and "Lasers" by Anthony E. Siegman. The person also asks for web addresses about the history of gas lasers.
antiicon
Hey guys,
this is my first time posting here (so if there's already a thread about lasers, please direct me there)

Does anyone know a good source for the theory of lasers (specifically semiconductor lasers) at a second year undergrad level? I've looked at a number of books including Laser Fundamentals (Silvfast), Lasers: Theory and Practice (Hawkes/Latimer) but they both seem to be a little too advanced (for getting though them in a short period of time anyway)...anyone know a book/site that's to the point? I'd really appreciate it :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF antiicon!

Try Howstuffworks for the very basics. Then maybe move on to laser FAQ

hope this helps...

I use "Lasers and Electro-Optics" by Davis.

Claude.

If you're not interested in a highly mathematical treatment, I might suggest Kuhn's Laser Engineering. There is very little quantum as this book is tailored for engineering applications. It is easily accesible, and provides a nice overview.
TOC:
1.) Introduction to Lasers 2.) Energy States and Gain 3.) The Fabry-Perot Etalon 4.)Transverse Mode Properties 5.) Gain Saturation 6.) Transient Properties 7.) Introduction to Nonlinear Optics 8.) Supportive Technologies 9.) Conventional Gas Lasers 10.) Conventional Solid-State Lasers. 11) Transitional-Metal Solid-State Lasers 12.) Other Major Commercial Lasers

antiicon said:
Does anyone know a good source for the theory of lasers (specifically semiconductor lasers) at a second year undergrad level?

For me, the bible about lasers is Principles of Lasers, by Orazio Svelto. With what you wrote, it is probably a bit too hard for what you want, but the first few chapters should be readable and give you probably the same content as "simpler" treatments, but with the necessary caveats.

cheers,
Patrick.

Lasers by Anthony E. Siegman is also very good but maybe too general.

Related to Finding Theory of Semiconductor Lasers at Undergrad Level

1. What is a semiconductor laser?

A semiconductor laser is a type of laser that uses a semiconductor material, typically made of silicon, to produce coherent light through the process of stimulated emission. It is commonly used in various electronic devices such as DVD players, laser printers, and telecommunications systems.

2. How do semiconductor lasers work?

Semiconductor lasers work by passing an electrical current through a semiconductor material, which causes the electrons in the material to release photons of light. This process is known as stimulated emission and is amplified by reflecting the light back and forth through the material using mirrors, resulting in a coherent and powerful laser beam.

3. What is the importance of studying semiconductor lasers at the undergraduate level?

Studying semiconductor lasers at the undergraduate level is important because it provides a foundation for understanding the principles and applications of this technology, which is widely used in various industries such as telecommunications, medicine, and research. It also allows for the development of critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential for a career in science or engineering.

4. What are some potential applications of semiconductor lasers?

Semiconductor lasers have a wide range of applications, including but not limited to:

• Optical communication: Used in fiber-optic communication systems for high-speed data transmission.
  • Medical treatments: Used in various medical procedures such as laser eye surgery and cancer treatments.
  • Sensing and measurement: Used in sensors for detecting and measuring various physical quantities such as temperature, pressure, and distance.
  • Material processing: Used in manufacturing processes such as cutting, welding, and drilling.

5. What are some challenges in developing semiconductor laser technology?

Some challenges in developing semiconductor laser technology include:

• Heat management: As semiconductor lasers produce heat during operation, effective heat management is crucial to maintain their performance and reliability.
  • Efficiency: Improving the efficiency of semiconductor lasers is an ongoing challenge, as a large portion of the electrical energy is lost as heat rather than converted into light.
  • Wavelength range: While semiconductor lasers can produce a wide range of wavelengths, there are still limitations in achieving certain wavelengths that are desired for specific applications.