Finding the vertex of a quadratic and the product of two complex numbers

In summary: So the vertex is $(-2,11)$.In summary, the conversation involved finding the vertex of a quadratic function and solving a multiplication problem, with the help of the expert summarizer providing a quick summary of the answers and clarifying the correct solution for the vertex.
drop
Basically I don't know anyone in real life that can help me with this, so I need help checking to see if my answers are correct :)

PART A

11) Find the vertex of f(x) = -2x^2 - 8x + 3 algebraically.

My Answer: (-2,0)

12) Multiply and simplify: (6 - 5i) (4 + 3i)

My Answer: 39 - 2i

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Please check my answers - 6

drop said:
Basically I don't know anyone in real life that can help me with this, so I need help checking to see if my answers are correct :)

PART A

11) Find the vertex of f(x) = -2x^2 - 8x + 3 algebraically.

My Answer: (-2,0)

I get $(-2, 11)$. Now can you help me by explaining to us how did you arrive at $(-2, 0)$ as the vertex of the function of f of x?
drop said:
12) Multiply and simplify: (6 - 5i) (4 + 3i)

My Answer: 39 - 2i

Correct.:)

x = -b/(2a)

x = -(-8)/2(-2)

x = 8/-4 = -2

I think I forgot to substitute -2 for x to find out y, thanks for pointing that out! (I was thinking of x intercepts) After solving for y, I got (-2,11) Thank you

Yes...and as you can see, $f(-2)=-2(-2)^2-8(-2)+3=11$.

Good job on finding the vertex of the given quadratic function! Your answer for the vertex is correct, which means that the x-coordinate of the vertex is -2 and the y-coordinate is 0. To check your answer, you can also graph the function and see if the vertex matches your answer.

For the product of two complex numbers, your answer is also correct. To multiply complex numbers, you can use the FOIL method (First, Outer, Inner, Last) or distribute the terms. Make sure to combine like terms and simplify the resulting expression.

Overall, it seems like you have a good understanding of these concepts. Keep up the good work! If you have any further questions or need help with other concepts, don't hesitate to ask. Keep exploring and learning, as science is all about curiosity and discovery. Good luck!

Related to Finding the vertex of a quadratic and the product of two complex numbers

1. What is the vertex of a quadratic equation?

The vertex of a quadratic equation is the point on the graph where the parabola changes direction. It is also the maximum or minimum point of the parabola, depending on whether the parabola opens upward or downward.

2. How do you find the vertex of a quadratic equation?

To find the vertex of a quadratic equation, you can use the formula x = -b/2a, where a and b are the coefficients of the quadratic equation in the form ax^2 + bx + c. This will give you the x-coordinate of the vertex. To find the y-coordinate, substitute the x-coordinate into the original equation.

3. What is the product of two complex numbers?

The product of two complex numbers is another complex number. It is found by multiplying the real parts and the imaginary parts of the two numbers separately and then combining them.

4. How do you find the product of two complex numbers?

To find the product of two complex numbers, you can use the FOIL method, which stands for First, Outer, Inner, Last. Multiply the first terms, then the outer terms, then the inner terms, and finally the last terms. This will give you the real and imaginary parts of the product, which can then be combined.

5. Can the vertex of a quadratic equation be a complex number?

Yes, the vertex of a quadratic equation can be a complex number. This happens when the quadratic equation has complex roots, meaning the solutions involve the imaginary unit i. In this case, the vertex will have a real and imaginary part.