Finding the Velocity of the Third Piece after an Explosion

In summary, an object with a total mass of 15.6 kg explodes into three pieces, with one piece moving up and to the left at an angle of 21° above the -x axis with a speed of 27.6 m/s, and another piece moving down and to the right at an angle of 26° to the right of the -y axis with a speed of 20.2 m/s. The third piece has a mass of 5.1 kg. To find the x and y components of its velocity, the conservation of momentum equation is used, resulting in x and y components of -50.406 m/s and -80.127 m/s, respectively. The magnitude of the velocity of the
ElevatorNinja

Homework Statement

Hello, this is my first time posting. I'd appreciate any help.
An object with total mass mtotal = 15.6 kg is sitting at rest when it explodes into three pieces. One piece with mass m1 = 5 kg moves up and to the left at an angle of θ1 = 21° above the –x axis with a speed of v1 = 27.6 m/s. A second piece with mass m2 = 5.5 kg moves down and to the right an angle of θ2 = 26° to the right of the -y axis at a speed of v2 = 20.2 m/s.
http://smartphysics.com/images/content/mechanics/ch13/explosion3.png

What is the x-component and y-component of the velocity of the third piece?
What is the magnitude of the velocity of the center of mass of the pieces after the collision?

Homework Equations

P = M*V
conservation of momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

I already found the third mass to equal 5.1kg. Then how I tried finding x and y is kind of lengthy and I don't know if it makes sense, but I'll try to explain.
I started out with: M(final)V(final) = m1v1 + m2v2 + m3v3
And then I plugged in what I had. Since it started at rest, I know the left side is equal to zero. Then I tried plugging in what I had, but it's where I started to get confused because of the angles.
0 = 5*27.6*Vector1 + 5.5*20.2*Vector2 + 5.1*V3*Vector3
5.1*V3*Vector3 = -5*27.6*Vector1 + -5.5*20.2*Vector2
Then I flipped the directions the vectors on the left side of the equation were going to make them positive and set up triangles.
For the first mass I have a triangle with a 21degree angle and solved for the other sides, I knew the hyp would just be m1*v1,
hyp = 138, opp = 49.45, adj = 128.83
And I did the same for the second mass
hyp = 111.1, opp = 99.856, adj = 48.703
Then I added the x-direction together
49.45 + -99.856 = -50.406
and y direction
-128.83 + 48.703 = -80.127
And then I set up another triangle and use Pythagorean theorem to find the hyp
which i got to be 113.51. Then to find the angle I used tan-1(80.127/50.406) and multiplied that by the 113.51 and got 1.24.

My x and y are wrong. And I know it's way too high for velocity, so I also tried divided by the mass, but it's still wrong. I was wondering if I'm anywhere close and where I went wrong. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I found it out. Nevermind.

Related to Finding the Velocity of the Third Piece after an Explosion

1. What is the "Momentum Explosion Problem"?

The "Momentum Explosion Problem" refers to a phenomenon in physics where a sudden and significant increase in the momentum of an object occurs, often resulting in destructive consequences.

2. What causes a "Momentum Explosion"?

A "Momentum Explosion" can be caused by a variety of factors, such as a sudden release of stored energy, a collision between two objects, or an abrupt change in the direction of motion.

3. How does the "Momentum Explosion Problem" affect real-world situations?

The "Momentum Explosion Problem" can have serious consequences in real-world situations, such as in car accidents, explosions, and industrial accidents. It can also be a concern in space travel and rocket launches.

4. Can the "Momentum Explosion Problem" be prevented?

While it may not be possible to fully prevent a "Momentum Explosion," safety measures and precautions can be taken to reduce the risk and severity of such events. This can include proper maintenance of equipment, implementation of safety protocols, and careful planning in high-risk situations.

5. How is the "Momentum Explosion Problem" studied and understood by scientists?

Scientists use mathematical models and experiments to study and understand the "Momentum Explosion Problem." They also analyze real-world data and observations to better understand the causes and effects of these events.