Finding the velocity and angle after an elastic collision

In summary, Jerry and Mary, a young penguin couple, got separated because of an arctic storm. The storm is over and they start looking for each other. Jerry sees Mary first and he starts running on his little legs towards her. Then Mary sees Jerry and starts running as fast as she can toward him. There is ice all over so they end up sliding towards each other. Their precise directions are shown at the figure. When they meet they hug each other so tight that they keep sliding TOGETHER in a new direction, (COUNTERCLOCKWISE from the EAST), with a new speed, . What is the final angle of the system and what is the final speed of the system?
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

Jerry and Mary, a young penguin couple, got separated because of an arctic storm. The storm is over and they start looking for each other. Jerry sees Mary first and he starts running on his little legs towards her. Then Mary sees Jerry and starts running as fast as she can toward him. There is ice all over so they end up sliding towards each other. Their precise directions are shown at the figure. When they meet they hug each other so tight that they keep sliding TOGETHER in a new direction, (COUNTERCLOCKWISE from the EAST), with a new speed, . What is and of the young penguin couple?

Pix = initial momentum of the system in the x direction
piy = initial momentum of the system in the y direction
mj = mass of Jerry
mm = mass of Mary
Pfx = final momentum of the system in the x direction
pfy = final momentum of the system in the y direction
vf = final velocity of the system
θf = final angle of the system
vj = velocity of Jerry
vm = velocity of Mary

Data:

ψj = 15°
ψ = 10°

mj = 5kg
mm = 3kg

vj = 1.2 m/s
vm = 0.5 m/s

Answer choices:
A) =0.6m/s,θf = 287 CCW from the East.
B) =1.1m/s, θf= 287 CCW from the East.
C) =0.6m/s,θf = 163 CCW from the East.
D) =1.1m/s,θf = 163 CCW from the East.
E) =0.6m/s,θf = 253 CCW from the East.
F) =1.1m/s,θf = 253 CCW from the East

Homework Equations

P =mv

Conservation of momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

Pix in the x-direction= 5*1.2*sin(15) -2*0.5*sin(10)
= 1.29244 kgm/s

piy = 5*1.2*cos(15) - 3*0.5*cos(10)
= 4.31834 kgm/s

Initial velocity of the system = 5.61078 kgm/s

Initial momentum = final momentum

5.16 kgm/s = (5kg+3kg)Vf

Vf = 0.7 m/s

Did I make a mistake in my calculations? Is the 0.1 discrepancy due to a rounding difference?

Then for the final angle:
θf = arctan(4.31/1.29)
= 73°

Do I assume that the angle starts from the positive x-axis and moves clockwise? So I would get:
360° - 73° = 287°

Attachments

• mary and jerry.png
    mary and jerry.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 555
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't checked all your working but shouldn't that be 3*0.5*sin(10) in...

Pix in the x-direction= 5*1.2*sin(15) -2*0.5*sin(10)

EDIT. Ah it looks like you used 3 to get 1.29244 so that's not the problem.

Are you summing the vectors Pix and Piy correctly? (That's a hint not a question)

I thought I had summed them correctly. I can see that I made a typo with
5.16 kgm/s = (5kg+3kg)Vf

which should be

5.61 kgm/s = (5kg+3kg)Vf

But the answer is still 0.7.

Related to Finding the velocity and angle after an elastic collision

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the objects involved in the collision bounce off each other without any loss of energy.

What is the equation for finding the velocity and angle after an elastic collision?

The equation for finding the velocity and angle after an elastic collision is:Vf = [(m1-m2)*V1*cos(theta1) + 2*m2*V2*cos(theta2)] / (m1 + m2) Where Vf is the final velocity, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, V1 and V2 are the initial velocities, and theta1 and theta2 are the angles of the initial velocities with respect to the collision axis.

Can the velocity and angle after an elastic collision be negative?

Yes, the velocity and angle after an elastic collision can be negative. This indicates that the objects are moving in the opposite direction after the collision compared to their initial velocities.

What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is not conserved. Some of the energy is lost in the form of heat, sound, or deformation of the objects. In contrast, an elastic collision conserves all of the kinetic energy.

What factors affect the velocity and angle after an elastic collision?

The velocity and angle after an elastic collision are affected by the masses and initial velocities of the objects, as well as the angle at which they collide. The coefficient of restitution, which represents the elasticity of the objects, also has an impact on the outcome of the collision.