Finding the Value of the Rolling Friction Force

In summary, the value of the rolling friction force can be determined by using the formula Ffriction = (Fa - Fb) / 2, where Fa and Fb are the net forces for the cart going up and down the ramp respectively. This value can be considered reasonable as it is only 6.8% of the average net force, and the rolling resistance is not expected to be high.
realslow

Homework Statement

What is the value of the rolling friction force given 1)Fnet=0.24N (deceleration up the ramp) and 2)Fnet=0.21N (acceleration down the ramp)?

Homework Equations

Fnet = Fgravity - Ffriction (?)

The Attempt at a Solution

Somehow I need to combine these values to find the frictional force...
So I tried this:
0.24 = 5.0 - Ffric
0.21 = 5.0 - (-Ffric)
elimination
0.03 = -2Ffric
Ffric = 0.015 (disregarding the negative?)
Does this work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you given the mass of the object in the question? It's not relevant, but you've used a value for it.

Last edited:
Yes, sorry, the mass was 0.510 kg.

Up Ramp:
Fa = Fgravity + Ffriction
Fgravity = Fa - Ffriction

Down Ramp:
Fb = Fgravity - Ffriction
Fgravity = Fb + Ffriction

Fgravity is equal in both instances so:
Fa - Ffriction = Fb + Ffriction
Fa - Fb = Ffriction + Ffriction
Fa - Fb = 2Ffriction
Ffriction = (Fa - Fb) / 2

Based on that, I'd say I agree with your answer of 0.015.

You don't need the mass of the object for this.

Yay! Thank you :)
I just wanted to clarify, gravity + friction make up the net force for the cart going up the ramp because gravity and friction are working in the same direction?

realslow said:
Yay! Thank you :)
I just wanted to clarify, gravity + friction make up the net force for the cart going up the ramp because gravity and friction are working in the same direction?

Correct. Both are acting against the direction of motion.

Okay! :D
Sorry, I just had one question relating to this one, if you could help me again.
I need to state whether my answer is reasonable.
I said it is reasonable because it is 6.8% of the average net force.. and at first I was thinking 0.068 was also the coefficient of friction, but then I calculated friction divided by average net force. It isn't the coefficient.. is it?
I'm also not sure if I was correct in using the average net force.

realslow said:
Okay! :D
Sorry, I just had one question relating to this one, if you could help me again.
I need to state whether my answer is reasonable.
I said it is reasonable because it is 6.8% of the average net force.. and at first I was thinking 0.068 was also the coefficient of friction, but then I calculated friction divided by average net force. It isn't the coefficient.. is it?
I'm also not sure if I was correct in using the average net force.

For this question, assume everything is acting down the slope to avoid any nasty angles in there.

So everything lines up and cancels out nicely.

Yes, you used it correctly.

Is your answer reasonable? Well do you expect the rolling resistance to be high or low?

Sorry, if you could clarify what you mean when you say, "So everything lines up and cancels out nicely."

I'm not too sure.. I don't think the rolling resistance would be high though.

realslow said:
Sorry, if you could clarify what you mean when you say, "So everything lines up and cancels out nicely."

It's all acting down the slope. Assume net, gravity and friction all refer specifically to those forces acting down the ramp.
I'm not too sure.. I don't think the rolling resistance would be high though.

Correct, is your value high?

Oh, okay!

Nope, it isn't high.

Thank you again for your troubles :)

Related to Finding the Value of the Rolling Friction Force

1. What is rolling friction force and why is it important?

Rolling friction force is the force that opposes the motion of a rolling object on a surface. It is important because it affects the speed and efficiency of the rolling object.

2. How is rolling friction different from other types of friction?

Rolling friction is different from other types of friction, such as static and kinetic friction, because it only occurs when an object is in motion on a surface. It also typically requires less force to overcome compared to other types of friction.

3. How do you calculate the value of rolling friction force?

The value of rolling friction force can be calculated using the formula F = μmg, where μ is the coefficient of rolling friction, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What factors affect the value of rolling friction force?

The value of rolling friction force can be affected by various factors such as the weight and shape of the rolling object, the type and texture of the surface it is rolling on, and the speed at which it is rolling.

5. How can the value of rolling friction force be reduced?

The value of rolling friction force can be reduced by using smoother surfaces, such as lubricated surfaces, and by reducing the weight and size of the rolling object. Additionally, using ball bearings or other mechanisms can also help to decrease the rolling friction force.