Finding the undamped natural frequency of 2nd order system

In summary, the undamped natural frequency of a second-order system can be found by using the equation ωn = √(k/m), where ωn is the natural frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass of the system. This frequency represents the rate at which the system will oscillate if there are no external forces acting upon it. It is an important factor in understanding the behavior and stability of a system, and can be used to determine the response of the system to different inputs. Overall, finding the undamped natural frequency is crucial in analyzing and designing second-order systems.
engnrshyckh
the following 2nd order differential equation is given:
2y'' + 4y' +8y=8x........(1)
i want to find damping ratio, undamped natural frequency, damping ratio coefficient and time constant for the above system.
solution:
comparimg (1) with general system equaion

SysDyn2A1.gif

(veriable can be exchanged)
{where: x(t) = Response of the System,
u(t) = Input to the System,
z = Damping Ratio,
wn=Undamped Natural Frequency,
Gdc= The DC Gain of the System.}
damping ratio z or zeta:

2zw=2
w=2 so z=2/4=0.5

undamped natural frequency w or omega:
w=2 but correct ans is 1. any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Using: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_oscillator

Putting the DE familiar form: ##\ddot x + 2\dot x + 4x = 4t## would be the equivalent right?
Compare with ##\ddot x + 2\zeta \omega_0 \dot x + \omega_0^2 x = f(t)## I get ##2\zeta\omega =2## like you did, and ##\omega_0^2=4\implies \omega_0=2 \implies \zeta = 1/2## ...

Are you sure the answer you quote as "w" is the undamped frequency?

Simon Bridge said:
Using: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_oscillator

Putting the DE familiar form: ##\ddot x + 2\dot x + 4x = 4t## would be the equivalent right?
Compare with ##\ddot x + 2\zeta \omega_0 \dot x + \omega_0^2 x = f(t)## I get ##2\zeta\omega =2## like you did, and ##\omega_0^2=4\implies \omega_0=2 \implies \zeta = 1/2## ...

Are you sure the answer you quote as "w" is the undamped frequency?
http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/mastascu/eControlHTML/SysDyn/SysDyn2.html yes it is undamped natural frequency

engnrshyckh said:
the following 2nd order differential equation is given:
2y'' + 4y' +8y=8x........(1)
i want to find damping ratio, undamped natural frequency, damping ratio coefficient and time constant for the above system.
solution:
comparimg (1) with general system equaion

SysDyn2A1.gif

(veriable can be exchanged)
{where: x(t) = Response of the System,
u(t) = Input to the System,
z = Damping Ratio,
wn=Undamped Natural Frequency,
Gdc= The DC Gain of the System.}
damping ratio z or zeta:

2zw=2
w=2 so z=2/4=0.5

undamped natural frequency w or omega:
w=2 but correct ans is 0.1. any help?

another way is to use laplace transformation as:

SysDyn2A1.gif

• Then, Laplace transforming both sides and solving for the transfer function - the ratio of the transform of the output to the transform of the input, we find the transfer function to be.
SysDyn2A2.gif

but you still get wn=2

I agree the undamped w = 2
Why do you think the correct answer is .1?
Taking damping into consideration w = 1.73

Tom_K said:
I agree the undamped w = 2
Why do you think the correct answer is .1?
Taking damping into consideration w = 1.73
please tell me how you find w=1.73...
w=0.1 ans is given in book Electronics and communication engg (OT) by Handa

engnrshyckh said:
please tell me how you find w=1.73...
w=0.1 ans is given in book Electronics and communication engg (OT) by Handa

The auxiliary equation is: 2m^2 + 4m + 8 = 0
Use the quadratic formula to solve for the roots = -1 +/- i 1.73
That leads to the general solution form of e^-t*(A Cos 1.73t + B Sin 1.73t)
A damped oscillation where w = 1.73
To solve for the undamped case just disregard the coefficient of the m term which represents the damping resistance. The roots then are +/- i 2 purely imaginary
An undamped oscillation where w = 2.0

I don't know where that 0.1 could have come from, a typo maybe?

Tom_K said:
The auxiliary equation is: 2m^2 + 4m + 8 = 0
Use the quadratic formula to solve for the roots = -1 +/- i 1.73
That leads to the general solution form of e^-t*(A Cos 1.73t + B Sin 1.73t)
A damped oscillation where w = 1.73
To solve for the undamped case just disregard the coefficient of the m term which represents the damping resistance. The roots then are +/- i 2 purely imaginary
An undamped oscillation where w = 2.0

I don't know where that 0.1 could have come from, a typo maybe?
ty for the help. can you please tell me about damping co-efficient and time for this particular question?

ty for the help. can you please tell me about damping co-efficient and time for this particular question?
... please show how you have attempted to answer the rest of the problem, then we can help you with it.

Zeta=a/2w which implies that a=2 by letting w=2 and zeta=0.5 time constant is 1/a which is 0.5. I don't know about damping coefficient and hope u will help me out

Related to Finding the undamped natural frequency of 2nd order system

1. What is an undamped natural frequency?

An undamped natural frequency is the frequency at which a 2nd order system will vibrate when there is no external force acting on it. It is a characteristic property of the system and is determined by its mass, stiffness, and damping ratio.

2. How is the undamped natural frequency of a 2nd order system calculated?

The undamped natural frequency can be calculated using the formula: wn = √(k/m), where k is the stiffness of the system and m is its mass. Alternatively, it can also be determined by measuring the time period of the system's free oscillations.

3. Why is it important to find the undamped natural frequency of a 2nd order system?

The undamped natural frequency is an important parameter in understanding the behavior of a 2nd order system. It can help in analyzing the stability of the system, predicting its response to external forces, and designing efficient control systems.

4. How does damping affect the undamped natural frequency of a 2nd order system?

Damping reduces the amplitude of the system's oscillations and shifts the undamped natural frequency to a lower value. This is because damping dissipates energy from the system, making it less 'springy' and decreasing its natural frequency.

5. Can the undamped natural frequency of a 2nd order system be changed?

Yes, the undamped natural frequency of a 2nd order system can be changed by altering its mass or stiffness. It can also be changed by introducing external forces that affect the system's dynamics. However, the damping ratio of the system will also play a role in determining the final natural frequency.