Finding the total resistance of a complex combination

In summary: Now, KCL will give you the current in each loop (I1, I2, I3, I4, I5). You can use Ohm's Law to find the total resistance of the circuit:= (5*5*10*10*10*10*10*10*10) / (4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4) = 1,088,000 ohms
hms.tech
b]1. Homework Statement [/b]

Find the total resistance of this complex combination of resistors.
Final.jpg
[

Homework Equations

R(total)= (Rr)/(R+r)

The Attempt at a Solution

resistance of r(2) and r(3) = 20Ω
resistance of the combination of r(1) and the resultant 20 Ω(ie r(2) and r(3) ) = 20/3
resistance of r(3) and r(5) = 20Ω
resistance of te combination of r(4) and the resultant 20 (ie r(3) and r(5) ) = 20/3

I can't deduce and answer from the above (correct) results.

Need urgent Help !

Physics news on Phys.org
hi hms.tech! :smile:

have you tried using Kirchhoff's rules?

tiny-tim said:
hi hms.tech! :smile:

have you tried using Kirchhoff's rules?

No!
Would you kindly guide me how and where do we apply them in this situation.

(i know what they are but am confused about their appropriate application in this design of resistors)

hi hms.tech! :wink:
hms.tech said:
No!
Would you kindly guide me how and where do we apply them in this situation.

(i know what they are but am confused about their appropriate application in this design of resistors)

just label the currents I1 I2 I3 I4 and I6 (with arrows of course!), do KVL and KCL, then find the total voltage drop between A and B, and divide by I6

what do you get? :smile:

as i said, i am confused about the way to apply these laws in this unusual situatuion
your 2nd answer did not help any more than the first one (@tiny tim).

Kind Sir, will elaborate on the proposed method.
to put it simply, i am unable to find the voltage drop between A and B.

hms.tech said:
as i said, i am confused about the way to apply these laws in this unusual situatuion
your 2nd answer did not help any more than the first one (@tiny tim).

Kind Sir, will elaborate on the proposed method.
to put it simply, i am unable to find the voltage drop between A and B.

Stick either a voltage source or a current source at terminals AB. If it's a current source, find the voltage drop across AB. If it's a voltage source, find the current it's driving into the circuit. Either way the overall resistance of the circuit will be the ratio of the voltage to the current that the source delivers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-Δ_transform
This is how you gona solve it.
1,2 and 3 are in triangle, same 3,4,5, change one combination with triangle-star transform and its solved.
My result is 10 ohm.
With kirchhoff.
Lets make I6=10 (you can give it any value you want)
Now, when the current is at A it will be divided by 2, because R1=R2, I3=0 from KCL.
So I1=5, I2=5, i4=5, i5=5.
Now, what you gona do its to KVL in loop 1 (yellow) to find Uab.
After finding Uab, Rab=Uab/I6.
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45015&stc=1&d=1331595516

Attachments

• Final.jpg
    Final.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 650
Last edited:
This circuit can be analyzed by the use of symmetry.

An equivalent circuit to this is on with A at one corner of a square, and B at the opposite corner.

Label the other two corners C & D respectively, the corners being labeled: A, C, B, and D in a clockwise sense.
Resistor 1 connects corners A and C.

Resistor 2 connects corners A and D.

Resistor 5 connects corners C and B.

Resistor 4 connects corners D and B.

Resistor 3 connects corners D and C.​

Related to Finding the total resistance of a complex combination

1. What is total resistance?

Total resistance is the cumulative measure of resistance in an electrical circuit. It is the overall resistance that the current must overcome in order to flow through the circuit.

2. How do you calculate total resistance?

Total resistance is calculated by adding up the individual resistances in a series circuit or by using a formula for parallel circuits. In a complex combination of circuits, total resistance can be found by using a combination of series and parallel calculations.

3. Why is finding total resistance important?

Knowing the total resistance in an electrical circuit is important because it helps determine the amount of current that will flow through the circuit. This information is essential for designing and troubleshooting circuits.

4. What factors affect total resistance?

The factors that affect total resistance include the type and length of the wire, the material it is made of, the temperature, and the number and arrangement of resistors in the circuit.

5. How can total resistance be reduced?

Total resistance can be reduced by using thicker wires with lower resistivity, using shorter wires, and using fewer or larger resistors in a circuit. Additionally, connecting resistors in parallel instead of series can also reduce the total resistance.