Finding the Tension in a Rope (Circular motion)

In summary, the question asks for the rope tension needed to spin a cart with a 25kg child at the top of a conical hill, with a 5.7kg cart on a 2.4m long rope at an angle of 22º. After incorrectly using the equation T=mv^(2)/r, the correct approach is to split the tension into x and y components and consider the effects of gravity. Drawing a free body diagram is helpful in finding the tension needed.
indecisive727
An energetic father stands at the summit of a conical hill as he spins his 25kg child around on a 5.7kg cart with a 2.4m long rope. The sides of the hill are inclined at 22º. He keeps the rope parallel to the ground, and friction is negligible.

What rope tension will allow the cart to spin with the 17 ?

I tried working this problem backwards, from another example in my physics book but the answer came out wrong.
First, I converted 17 rpm to 1.780235837 rad/s.
Then, I plugged that value into omega=(v/r) and got 4.272566009 m/s.
After that I used the equation T=mv^(2)/r and came up with 233.5095763 N, which I rounded to 230 N.

Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
T does not equal mv^2/r.

T has x and y components. If you draw a free body diagram, you'll find that the x component of the tension must equal mv^2/r in order to keep the rope parallel with the hill.

So the answer I got is just tension in the x-direction? How do I find the tension in the y-direction?

If you know Tx and the angle, you can go backwards from there.

How would you find Tx in any other situation?

You need to split it into two components, x and y. You also need to pay attention to gravity.

Oh yes, gravity. Drawing an accurate free body diagram will reveal all the secrets!

It's a strange question. There's more information than necessary. You can work out the tension just from the masses and the rope angle.

Related to Finding the Tension in a Rope (Circular motion)

What is tension in a rope?

Tension in a rope is the force exerted by the rope on objects attached to it. It is a pulling force that keeps the objects in place and prevents them from falling.

How is tension related to circular motion?

In circular motion, the tension in a rope is responsible for providing the centripetal force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. This force is always directed towards the center of the circle.

What factors affect the tension in a rope in circular motion?

The tension in a rope is affected by the mass of the object attached to it, the speed of the object, and the radius of the circular path. As these factors change, the tension in the rope also changes.

How can the tension in a rope be calculated?

The tension in a rope can be calculated using the formula T = mv²/r, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What happens to tension in a rope when the circular motion stops?

When the circular motion stops, the tension in the rope also stops because there is no longer a need for a centripetal force. The rope will become slack and the tension will be zero.