Finding the tangent line of the curve of intersection

In summary, to find the curve of intersection between the given paraboloid and plane, we plug in x=1 and get z = 4-2y2. Taking the derivative and substituting y=2, we get the slope -8. The parametric equations for the tangent line at point (1,2,-4) are x = 1, y = 2 + t, and z = -4 - 8t.
Lucree
Given the paraboloid z = 6 - x - x2 -2y2 and the plane x = 1, find curve of intersection and the parametric equations of the tangent line to this curve at point (1,2,-4).So I plugged x=1 into the paraboloid equation and got z = 4-2y2.

Then I take the derivative of the curve of intersection:
dz/dy = -4y

Then I plug in 2 for t since y=t=2 at the given point and get the slope -8.

The parametric equation of a line is r = r0 +tv
I have r0 = (1,2,-4) and I have a slope -8. I'm not sure how to get a vector.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider in general:

dy/dx=m ... means that every 1 unit you go in x, you go m units in y right?
The vector that does that must be (1,m)t right?

yes, so if -8 is dz/dy then for every unit in y I go down 8 in z. so the vector would be <0, 1, -8>? then the parametric equation is

x = 1
y = 2 + t
z = -4 -8t

There you go :)

Related to Finding the tangent line of the curve of intersection

1. What is a tangent line?

A tangent line is a line that touches a curve at only one point and has the same slope as the curve at that point.

2. How do you find the tangent line of a curve of intersection?

To find the tangent line of a curve of intersection, you will need to first find the equations of the two curves that intersect. Then, you can use the derivative of each curve to find the slopes at the point of intersection. Finally, you can use the point-slope formula to find the equation of the tangent line.

3. What is the point-slope formula?

The point-slope formula is y - y1 = m(x - x1), where (x1, y1) is a point on the line and m is the slope of the line. This formula can be used to find the equation of a line when given a point and the slope.

4. Can there be more than one tangent line to a curve of intersection?

Yes, there can be more than one tangent line to a curve of intersection. This can occur when the two curves have multiple points of intersection or when the curves have a point of tangency where the slope of the curves is the same.

5. What is the significance of finding the tangent line of a curve of intersection?

Finding the tangent line of a curve of intersection is important in many applications, such as physics and engineering. It allows us to approximate the behavior of a curve at a specific point and can help us make predictions about the curve's behavior in the future. It also helps us understand the relationship between two intersecting curves.