Finding the shortwavelength limit of the white spectrum

In summary, the problem is to find the short wavelength limit and Planck's constant of the white or bremstrahlung spectrum, obtained from x-rays produced from a copper anode scattered off a NaCl crystal. The data is in counts vs degrees, but needs to be converted to counts vs wavelength using the equation lambda = 2d*sin(theta). There were two trials for the white spectrum, one with 20 KeV x-rays and the other with 30 KeV x-rays. The short wavelength limit is defined as the intersection of the x-axis. A possible error in using the equation was identified and corrected.
Noone1982

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the short wavelength limit ( and consequently plankcs constant) of the white or bremstrahlung spectrum. The data came from the bragg scattering of x-rays produced from a copper anode scattered of a NaCl crystal. The graph is counts vs degrees. The spectrum is from 11-30º on a 2-theta scale. There were two trials for the white spectrum, one of 20 KeV x-rays and the other of 30 Kev x-rays. The shortwavelength limit is defined as the intersection of the x-axis.

One of the main equations is,

[tex] hf\; =\; h\left( \frac{c}{\lambda } \right)\; =\; \mbox{E}\; =\; 20\; KeV [/tex]

Homework Equations

The problem is that my data is in counts vs degrees, not counts vs wavelength. I need my x-axis to be in wavelength, not the recorded degrees. I am not sure how to convert it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am a bit clueless on this one. I tried using 2d*sin(theta) = n*lambda to convert the degree axis into a wavelength axis, I knew it would be wrong iand sure enough, I got a Planck's constant of five magnitudes off.

Physics news on Phys.org
Surely someone must know! Or is it too hard? :(

If you have a rotating crystal and plot signal vs. rotation angle, then by knowing theta (incident angle relative to the crystal surface) and the crystal 2d spacing you can calculate signal vs. lamda from lamda = 2d*sin(theta). Perhaps you referenced the angle to the crystal surface normal instead?

D'oh! Sorry for taking your time, my initial approach was correct but I must have done some silly calculator error.

Related to Finding the shortwavelength limit of the white spectrum

1. What is the short-wavelength limit of the white spectrum?

The short-wavelength limit of the white spectrum is approximately 400 nanometers. This is the point at which the spectrum transitions from visible light to ultraviolet light.

2. How is the short-wavelength limit of the white spectrum determined?

The short-wavelength limit of the white spectrum is determined through a process called spectroscopy, which involves analyzing the different wavelengths of light emitted or absorbed by a substance. This allows scientists to identify the specific wavelengths of light that make up the white spectrum and determine its short-wavelength limit.

3. Why is it important to find the short-wavelength limit of the white spectrum?

Understanding the short-wavelength limit of the white spectrum is important for a variety of reasons. It can help us better understand the properties of light and how it interacts with matter. It also has practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies and medical treatments that utilize ultraviolet light.

4. Can the short-wavelength limit of the white spectrum vary?

Yes, the short-wavelength limit of the white spectrum can vary depending on the source of the light and the type of matter it is interacting with. For example, the short-wavelength limit may be different for sunlight compared to artificial light sources.

5. How does the short-wavelength limit of the white spectrum relate to other colors?

The short-wavelength limit of the white spectrum is the point at which the color transitions from violet to ultraviolet. This is why ultraviolet light is often referred to as "beyond the visible spectrum." The other colors of the visible spectrum have their own respective limits, with red having the longest wavelength and violet having the shortest.