Finding the Right Software for Building Energy Simulation

In summary, the conversation is about finding software for calculating heating and cooling needs in buildings. The speaker recommends CHVC and mentions Carrier as another option. They also mention that most of these software have professional prices. The conversation then shifts to the topic of changing the thickness of walls and using custom walls, floors, and ceilings. The speaker offers to give a walkthrough and explains how to switch to metric units and use the wall building feature in the software.
TSN79
Does anyone know any good software to calculate the need for cooling/heating and such in builidings? One where I can change properties of almost every building aspect, such as wall-thickness, insulation, sun conditions, windows, outside temp, inside temp, and so on to find the energy needed to keep a specific temp inside while the outside conditions are such and such.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I use CHVC: www.elitesoft.com

I've heard Carrier has a decent one too. Do a Google for "hvac load calculation software" and you'll get several more. Be aware, though, that most of these are professional products and generally have professional pricetags.

Ah, excellent, I've used this one. Then you might be able to answer this question: how to I change the thickness of walls? And also, I would like to use custom walls, floors and ceilings, since the preset choices are US standards which don't tell me ****, but I'm not sure how to "design" a custom let's say wall with insulation thickness, and other layers of material that might be in it. Any suggestions?

I'll give you a walkthrough at work tomorrow...

Likes Kissboy
As long as it is possible I'm satisfied, but a walkthrough would be nice :-)

Well, first off, in the General Project Data ("G" button in the toolbar), there is an option for switching to Metric units. Then in the "Master" menu ("M" button in the toolbar), there is a tab for roofs, walls, and partitions. Under "walls", there are four drop-down menus. The one on the left brings up a box allowing you to build your own. The second one gives common wall types (it's what I usually use). The third one gives a calculator similar to the wall builder in the first tab.

Last edited:

Related to Finding the Right Software for Building Energy Simulation

1. What factors should I consider when choosing software for building energy simulation?

When choosing software for building energy simulation, it is important to consider factors such as the type of building, the level of detail needed in the simulation, the complexity of the building systems, the accuracy of the software, and the availability of support and training.

2. How do I know if a software is suitable for my specific building project?

To determine if a software is suitable for your specific building project, you should first review the software's features and capabilities and compare them to the requirements of your project. It is also helpful to read reviews and case studies from other users who have used the software for similar projects.

3. Can I use multiple software programs for building energy simulation?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple software programs for building energy simulation. However, it is important to ensure that the programs are compatible and that the results can be accurately compared. It may also require additional time and effort to transfer data between programs.

4. How important is the accuracy of the software in building energy simulation?

The accuracy of the software is crucial in building energy simulation. The results of the simulation will be used to make important decisions about building design and energy efficiency measures. It is important to choose a software with a proven track record of accuracy and to properly validate the results.

5. Is there a specific software that is considered the best for building energy simulation?

There is no one software that is considered the best for building energy simulation as different programs have different strengths and capabilities. It is important to carefully evaluate the features and accuracy of each software and choose the one that best fits the needs of your specific project.